Need some advise

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doohan

Reaction score
Anyone...

Got to shoot a quick 8 shot group last night with my new-again .204 Savage.

This group is with Hornady factory 32gr stuff. My fouling shot is just under the dime and to the left.. It was from a clean, cold barrel. The high and low shots just below my target dot were the 2nd and 3rd shots..

Anyhow, how do you think I am doing? I am kind of on the fence as to the groups... but things seemed to settle in after the first couple of shots.

scan.jpg

I am VERY interested in reloading... Those 30gr Berger Bullets are calling my name!

Any pointers or help? Ideas? What does my target say R-man??

Thanks,

JJ

With all the stuff you've had done to that rifle, you should AVERAGE 0.50 inch or less 5-shot groups. My advice...buy a reloading press/accessories/Berger 35gr .204s/H322/your fired brass. That's EXACTLY what I would try. Makes ALL the difference in the world.

I agree with that Chuck...

I think the biggest problem is me! I am shooting off of bags and it is a pain in the bottom! :oops: I need something adjustable like THE ROCK or something comparable.

I can watch my heartbeat in the scope and relaxing a bit could only improve things.

Do you think .50 is possible with factory stuff?

I am shooting off of bags and it is a pain in the bottom! I need something adjustable like THE ROCK or something comparable.

ABSOLUTELY try that first!

Doohan said:
I agree with that Chuck...

I think the biggest problem is me! I am shooting off of bags and it is a pain in the bottom! :oops: I need something adjustable like THE ROCK or something comparable.

I can watch my heartbeat in the scope and relaxing a bit could only improve things.

Do you think .50 is possible with factory stuff?

The Rock is awesome for me. I was watching a guy shoot a .204 rifle at the range the other day. His gun hated being cleaned. And it took a while to shoot the Bore in. Use the Rock, and relax. :wink:

JJ if the gun will shoot one ragged hole you dont need anything but sandbags to do it. I am sure the rock will help, but it is not neccessary. The target shows a little but someting you said tells alot. Let see if the guys can figure out what it was you said and what the answer is. Rman

Oh Rifleman...I was on to that! HeeHee.. The rifle likes a dirty bore! ..maybe...

JJ just keep shooting it'll get better. just remember it's not a ML. ANd calm down it's just a piece of paper Your heart shouldn't be beating that hard. and if it is shoot between the beats.

You guys are both on the right track, now lets nail it down for DoDohan. :D

[
first204group.jpg

Maybe this helps...

1,2,3,8 are the only ones I am 100% sure of the order on..

Tom told me the same thing about a dirty bore....

Maybe you guys are onto something here... :shock:

Okay, here we go.

1.Shot 1 is the fouler, don't shoot foulers on paper unless you just want to see where they go, as they just screw up a good group.
2.Also a rifle that shoots with a dirty bore is good, at least you can shoot it without cleaning every shot.
3. Either your zero is off a hair, like a 1/4 or an 1/8 or your body alignment was off, I'd say alignment because you muscled the gun on shots 2 and 3.
4. Shots 4,5,6 were good with no muscling, however you see the body alignment was either throwing you off or else your zero is off, I cannot tell from 1 group.
5. Your breathing is not consistent or else your cheek weld is not or both, shots 2,3,7,8 refect that.
6. Shot 8 is a muscled gun, again body alignment.

Try this for me JJ, set up a dead gun on bags alone. make sure it is resting right on the money by itself, without touching it. Take your time building the platform, imagine the gun is going to have to fire itelf electronically and you could make no other adjustments after you were done. Then when that is 100 percent correct, fire the weapon having no contact with the weapon other then the front tip of the front pad of your trigger finger and the front pad of the thumb, in essence just pinch it. Look thru the scope with no face contact. Make sure it does not move. Reposition it between shots, take all day if neccessary, give me 5 shots this way. Call and mark any known fliers you get if you know that you moved the gun.I think this rifle will shoot one ragged hole, this will tell us. Also if you have an AO make sure to adjust this first correctly, not just to the markings on the scope, this will keep paralax from entering into the equation. Also try this in a no wind situation. Let me know if this is a problem or if you are unclear on how to proceed.

But all that being said, that was still some pretty good shooting, but since you are after perfection I figured you would not mind the input, and BTW you did ask for it! :D

Some of the tip offs in your post:
Quick
Heartbeat

Maybe later I will address how to negate the affects of heartbeat somewhat, but so few ever get ths steady, right now just accept the fact that if you are aware of the heartbeat in the scope, that is a good sign. For one it means your are alive !

Thanks Dwight!

Yes, I did ask for it and this is what I am looking for. I have never had any formal training.... this can only mean I am practicing my own mistakes!!

I dont have an adjustable rest.. I struggled to keep my crosshairs on my desired POI. I also adjusted my scope 1/8" right after this group... Havent shot it since..

Cant wait till the 28th.. wanna do some shooting at your place and see that this gun can do!

JJ

OK....

I headed out to the range this morning just after 8 am... With a loaner rest and some good advise !

Group was with factory Hornady 32gr. pills, 100 yds.

DSC00527.jpg

smily1429.gif

Thanks again Kevin! :wink:

that's alot better grouping. I suspect that was what you were expecting the 1st time out. :) :)

Latest posts

Back