Need some ideas

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I’m the R&P chairman at my gun club and I’m brainstorming ideas to try to do some friendly members only weeknight matches next year. I know we have a few guys that hunt PA early muzzleloader and late rock-lock seasons. Just dunno if I can entice them to come out for some fellowship and fun. I have a pistol range with plates, a 100 yard range with target boards at 25, 50, & 100 yds, and a 500 yard range with pits and impact areas with swinger plates @ 100, 200, 300, 400, & 500.

I plan to dig the silhouettes out of storage and reinstall the rails that were pulled out and tossed in the weeds when we rebuilt the ranges 25 years ago…. and maybe add some rails at Ihmsa pistol distances. Could be fun to maybe shoot muzzleloaders at them….. offhand out to 200 or bipod/cross sticks out to 500.

What do ya think? Any other ideas?

Last edited:
Sounds fun. If I was a little bit closer I’d be up for it. We used to have meat shoots and woods walks fairly consistently up this way but that’s really tapered off I’ve the past 10-15 years.

Used to shoot an informal fun rimfire match every month... you can probably adjust some of our stuff to fit a large caliber muzzle loader....

Golf balls at various distances (depending on pistol v. rifle, rifles we'd get to 150 yards for match and 200 for tie breakers)
Tums, tylenol, etc. glued to toothpicks and placed at 25 and 50 yards
Splitting playing cards at 25 and 50 yards
Bowling pins at 200 yards. 16oz plastic soda bottles full of water or sand work well too.
1/5 scale rimfire silhouettes - since our average age was well into collecting social security, we shot from a bench but doubled the distances
Charcoal brickettes at various distances (again, depending on rifle vs. pistol)

Latest posts

Back