Need to set up a CVA Optima V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is your head swimming yet? The problem here is solutions are vast and almost all are viable. This thing is that loose when it comes to what works. Each rifle is different as to what it prefers but in my mind muzzleloaders are kind of like touring Harley Davidson motorcycles... how do you plan on using it? Specifically, at what maximum range do you foresee your targets being? If you're in dense woods and no shot goes beyond 50 yards then there's that. You get where I'm going here. I can yell you this. There have been more deer harvested with 240gr Hornady XTPs than all others combined. They buck brush and they kill deer. Powder and primers are secondary. Pick a bullet and find a load that provides accuracy that you're comfortable with.
That's the short answer.
I would suspect in most areas I would use it it would be under 50 yards except if I went to North Jersey for the bear season and then it is much more open and potentially out to about 150 yards.

I would suspect in most areas I would use it it would be under 50 yards except if I went to North Jersey for the bear season and then it is much more open and potentially out to about 150 yards.
Spend a day or two reading here on the forum and you'll learn a lot about muzzleloaders and your Optima V2. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! These guys are some real good guys! I've been using a muzzleloader since the 90s and it's been a great time! Try some hornady xtp 240s with the black sabot and the green sabot. Personally I like the black sabot with my Accura V2 Lr with 80-90 grains of blackhorn 209!

Spend a day or two reading here on the forum and you'll learn a lot about muzzleloaders and your Optima V2. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! These guys are some real good guys! I've been using a muzzleloader since the 90s and it's been a great time! Try some hornady xtp 240s with the black sabot and the green sabot. Personally I like the black sabot with my Accura V2 Lr with 80-90 grains of blackhorn 209!
I have learned a ton since I posted over the weekend. Still head spinning though with all the options but there are definite themes of the same stuff being recommended so that is what I am likely to use. What's the difference in the sabot color? You are the second person to get the black sabot but with no explanation of the difference.

Or just use what comes with them, I'm a newbie to muzzleloader as well so I'm not ready to start fine tuning down to different sabots. . At the range your expecting and getting to know the weapon it won't make a big difference. Buy a couple boxes of hornady or barnes bullets and use the supplied sabots. Once you figure out muzzleloaders are awesome and want to fine tune, you can experiment with different builds.

I have learned a ton since I posted over the weekend. Still head spinning though with all the options but there are definite themes of the same stuff being recommended so that is what I am likely to use. What's the difference in the sabot color? You are the second person to get the black sabot but with no explanation of the difference.
I would buy some bullets that come with the sabot. The hornady xtp 240s are around $15 for 20 of em with the sabot. I've personally been using these for at least 10 years and honestly I haven't seen a Cva muzzleloader that wouldn't group good using those bullets! I've always used loose powder anywhere from 80-120 grains by volume. Most of my shots are under 100yds. Good luck with the Optima!

I would buy some bullets that come with the sabot. The hornady xtp 240s are around $15 for 20 of em with the sabot. I've personally been using these for at least 10 years and honestly I haven't seen a Cva muzzleloader that wouldn't group good using those bullets! I've always used loose powder anywhere from 80-120 grains by volume. Most of my shots are under 100yds. Good luck with the Optima!
I use the Hornady XTP 240 also I get them in the sabot combi. Pack. I also buy the T/C cheap shots 240 hollow point lead bullet in sabot they group the same as the XTPS and they are 10.00 bucks when on sale.

I use the Hornady XTP 240 also I get them in the sabot combi. Pack. I also buy the T/C cheap shots 240 hollow point lead bullet in sabot they group the same as the XTPS and they are 10.00 bucks when on sale.
Traditions also sells em. I believe that they are called Trophy hunter if I remember correctly!

Back