NEF Huntsman Review

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkstalkr

Reaction score
Here is the review of the Huntsman I posted on a couple of other websites, thought some of you might be interested. I wrote this after firing my grandpas newly purchased Huntsman.

Overall, I like the gun and for the price it shoots very well.

Two things I disliked about the gun. First, the ramrod does NOT have a standard MZ 10/32 thread for attachements (jags, brushes, etc). Apparently some genius at NEF decided to put thier own threading in the rod end. This REALLY ticked me off, as neither the brush, jag, or powerbullet attachment we purchased would fit. I am probably gonna call NEF on this one. This is the ONLY MZ I know of that does not take 10/32 atttachments, that threading is pretty much universal for MZ's. Does any one else know of another brand?

Also, where the heck can you buy attachments for the rod? NEF doesn't give you a jag with it and you they don't sell any attachements.

The primer carriers were my other dislike. I have never shot a MZ with a carrier, but quickly came to not liking them. We found that after one round the carrier became fouled and after the second shot the primer was almost impossible to remove. We had to punch them out with a hammer and a nail! So have plenty of spare carriers around when hunting.

If you love MZ'ing and plan on doing it for many years, this is not the gun for you. Spend a little more money and get something a little better. If you are just starting or don't do a whole lot of MZ shooting (like my gramps) this would be a great gun.

Since writing the review I have discovered that they actually make 8/32 to 10/32 adapters altough I have NEVER seen any in a store around Omaha. But apparently you can get them. I guess a few other guns have 8/32 threaded rods, but I have never dealt with them.

8/32 is the standard thread pattern for rifle cleaning rods. 10/32 is the standard muzzleloading patern for ramrods. Shotgun cleaning rods have a standard patern too, but I can't think of what it is.

Also, Cabelas has the adaptors here.

I would not mess with an adapter. You will either break it or lose it. Have the rod drilled and tapped to 10-32. It may be cheaper to buy a new ramrod if you can't drill and tap yourself.

RAZORBACK said:
I would not mess with an adapter. You will either break it or lose it. Have the rod drilled and tapped to 10-32. It may be cheaper to buy a new ramrod if you can't drill and tap yourself.

Good advice. However if it were me, I'd just buy two new ramrods. One Powerrod for the ramrod that comes with the gun (same length while it's not extended) and an extended jag from Knight or Thompson. Then just pull your ramrod and attach the jag once you get to your stand. The other ramrod would be a Range rod for rangework.

Yea, gramps bought a new rod to clean with. Still uses the extendable rod for hunting, or plans to, but just bought a seperate rod for cleaning.

Didn't know 8/32 was stanndard for cleaning kits. I have never used one to clean an ML, only ever used my ramrods.

I had a Sidekick for about a year. I thought it was a really good muzzleloader. Only my Disc Elite was more accurate...Even then, not by much. It shoots so many different bullet/sabot combinations very well!...really user friendly. Also...One of THE very best triggers I've ever seen. No it's not a target rifle.. But I did think it is a fine hunting rifle that most muzzleloaders would be happy with. Even makes a fine varmint rifle when necessary! :lol: Personally, I'd rather have it than anything CVA or Traditions have...

DSCF0195.JPG

pmthappics%20050.jpg

Send your Encore to Mike Bellm and your Disc Elite back to Knight...

it can be done!

you are kidding right?
:shock:

Ok.... I'll shut up! :shock: 8)

agreed, i like the trigger on the huntsman.

but I also like the trigger on my Omega.

I am not too picky on the trigger, unless it breaks ultra hard. Like my wifes 7mm-08 in a Remington model 7. GOOD GOD, I swear that thing must have a 20lb trigger pull. We are going to get that fixed.

Back