Loading info for Barnes .54 sabot in Lyman Trade Rifle?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firescout

Reaction score
I've had my .54 Lyman TR (1:48 twist) for over 14 years now, and I have a great 50-100 yd PRB load for it (.530 ball, .015 cotton patch, over 80 gr 2F Goex). In my state, all hunting projectiles must now be non-lead. So I obtained a box of Barnes Expander MZ 325 gr for .54 cal. The only data Barnes lists for loading is for Pyrodex RS. I know 2F Goex and RS are supposed to be volumetric "equals", and I don't like shooting RS in my rifle anymore. I like shooting 3F T7 in my Ruger Old Army, so I got some 2F T7 for the rifle. I've seen quite a few times that T7 should be reduced about 15% from Goex/RS loads. Is that still correct?

I see Barnes recommends a velocity range of 1400-1800 fps for the Expander MZ projectiles. Does anybody here have experience with the 325 gr Barnes sabots and recommendations for loads? This box of Barnes bullet/sabots was quite expensive, and I would like to work up a good load with minimal shooting, at first.

Back