New guy with question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animals45

Reaction score
howdy folks , my son has put a muzzle loader on his Christmas list . As always I have a real tite budget . Why wouldn't I go for the Stainless Buckmaster ? I'm thinkin that the stainless mite be a better choice for BP shooting & longevity .
thanks
animals45

I do prefer stainless. It can still rust, but it is more forgiving. Not familiar with the buckmaster, but others will be. The CVA Wolf is another popular intro muzzleloader, and it seems to have a loyal following.

Thanks , so next question , Why wouldn't I buy a CVA Wolf ? It looks like the Wolf & Buckmaster are CVA's & Traditions versions of the same gun . They are @ the same $$$ . I don't know a lot about black powder units like this & probably most of what I read years ago has moved on but I keep goin back to the thinking that BP is corrosive & the stainless rifles along with proper maintenance would be a good way to help combat the issue ?
thanks
animal

Thanks , so next question , Why wouldn't I buy a CVA Wolf ? It looks like the Wolf & Buckmaster are CVA's & Traditions versions of the same gun . They are @ the same $$$ . I don't know a lot about black powder units like this & probably most of what I read years ago has moved on but I keep goin back to the thinking that BP is corrosive & the stainless rifles along with proper maintenance would be a good way to help combat the issue ?
thanks
animal
I think you mean buckstalker. I have a wolf in SS, great gun and shoots well, I would not hesitate to buy another. I have a buck stalker, I found for such a good price I just could resist, but haven't shot it yet, but I'd bet it would be a fine rifle too.

Does the CVA Wolf come tapped for scope rings if ya get the one with iron sites ?
thanks
animals45

Personally I have more confidence in the CVA over the Traditions. My buddy has the Wolf and it shoots almost as well as my more expensive Accura. With TLC even the blued version will last you years.
Like stated above the stainless is nore forgiving but will still corrode in a hurry with black powder or subs except for Blackhorn 209 which is currently on the expensive side. And you'll need a different breech plug for reliability.

Next question , do ya have to use the power in the pressed amounts or can ya use loose powder & balls or cast slugs like a Hawken or New Army ?
thanks
animals45

Either one will choose will be able to use pelkets or loose powder. Loose is preferred because you can tweak your charges to get the most accuracy. But the you need to purchase a volume powder measure.
As for bullets, the twist rate of the bore is very likely to be 1:28 which will make a patched ball less accurate than a conical or saboted bullet. I would suggest a .45 cal (.452") Hornady XTP in 240 - 300 gr range an a Harvester black crush rib sabot.

Thanks , He has a bunch of things needed for a BP firearm . My mom bought both boys New Army revolvers for Christmas a few years back . So he has everything cept the correct actual size slugs . I'm kinda worried about the warranty/return issues if any . I'm gonna call a few folks to find out how they handle things . I don't want to buy something now & if we find out its a messed up the day after Christmas we're out of luck , be interestin to see what they say about that .
thanks
animals45

Buckstalker is chromoly not stainless. If you have any doubt about your barrel care tactics opt for the Wolf which can be had in stainless.

Happy with my traditions Vortek Strikerfire Backcountry--and Traditions support has been accessible and good for me too. I noted they had a sale on them on their website recently, brought the price down a lot--

see Special Offers

These strikerfires are pretty easy for anyone new to MZ too. Break action removable breech plug, dual safety with the cocking slider on top and the traditional trigger safety, and break down easily with a removable trigger group for cleaning.

Thanks for all the input folks . After doin a lot of reading & way too much computer time I was finally able to order a CVA Wolf from Buds . They had the best price with shipping that I found for one with iron sights .
thanks
animals45

Thanks for all the input folks . After doin a lot of reading & way too much computer time I was finally able to order a CVA Wolf from Buds . They had the best price with shipping that I found for one with iron sights .
thanks
animals45
It's a good little gun I like mine!

Latest posts

Back