Pedersoli Hawken Hunter questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveheffner110

SWOregon
Reaction score
I am very much a new member and muzzle loader reader. I am reading the add for the PHH 1-24 twist 50 cal. model, and have some questions.
Instead of just calling this model a 50 cal., they mention that it has .50 (6-lands) and .510 (6-grooves). I think I need some more explanation there. I think I remember that Lewis mentioned his Lyman had deep rifling.
This advertisement is one in the Dixie website. The same rifle is also advertised in Muzzle-loaders.com and listed as a 50 cal.
What size conical would I be interested in for that muzzle loader? The intention is for hunting in Oregon with several restrictions for designated muzzle loader only hunting. The hunting would include average size black bears and blacktail deer that average 160 pounds live weight.
Also, I would like to investigate models of slip-on butt pads that would fit that model. Several MZ models have some serious looking, metal butt plates.

This is a very good group of forum members for keeping a guy reading into the wee hours. Thanks.

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR

You should be Safe with a Bullet in the .502 Range, But you need to know your Actual Bore Diameter Before you can Determine exactly what Size of Bullet you need?

For Lead Conicals, I HIGHLY Recommend Bullshop Bullets Over ALL else, The 460 Grain .50 Cal Bullshop is as good as it Gets for a Big lead Conical :lewis: And Dan’s Bullshop NASA Lube is some of the Best Bullet lube i have Ever used.
https://bullshop.weebly.com/bullets.html

Thank you Lewis. Getting to watch and listen gives me some real insight about this unit. You described the gun as I was really hoping to hear, a no frills hunting, weapon. Thanks for saying that it is .501, and showing that the butt stock is ready to take hunting and not an implement of torture.

Thank you Lewis. Getting to watch and listen gives me some real insight about this unit. You described the gun as I was really hoping to hear, a no frills hunting, weapon. Thanks for saying that it is .501, and showing that the butt stock is ready to take hunting and not an implement of torture.

I don’t think you would be disappointed if you End up with one of these? I REALLY like this One! They come with Sling Swivels, Ghost Ring Peep Sight. They are a SERIOUS, READY to Hunt Rifle :lewis: And the 1:24 Twist is a Well proven .50 Cal Conical Twist, Doc White knew WELL what he was doing, and he chose the 1:24 Twist for his .50 Cals

Now, I am watching YouTube videos of sizing die uses. And, I will get a call in to BullShop for some information about what he suggests I check for sizing dies.
After posting this, I will be checking in with the Lee Sizing Die units they provide. However, I am interested in hearing from anyone about what they like to use. Please steer me in some research areas with sizing.

For those interested in the Oregon rules; we are not allowed to use pointed tips on bullets, no skirting like Power Belts, loose powder only, no sabots, so lead is good but not twice the diameter of the bullet. Therefore a one inch bullet is legal. These rules do not apply if you want to use the muzzleloader in the general season. I still want to be Oregon legal with this gun while I am hunting general seasons and waiting for my future antelope muzzleloader tag (probably 8 years).

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR

.50cal & .510 (6 land & grooves) you referenced-
Bore diameter ‘Should’ be .500” (land)
Groove diameter- 0.510” (groove) - each groove is 0.005” of an inch deep.
I had an original EM Reilly 50cal and a 1:20 twist that shot a 530gr conical very well in matches to 600yds- never did well at 1000.
I’d start with 70gr of Swiss 2f - if you can get it.
Like Lewis stated - it should do well.

Latest posts

Back