Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey folks. My name is Patrick. I retired from the USAF in 2008 and currently live in NC awaiting my next job in project management to start after muzzleloading season is done (yes, that was a strategic move on my part).

I hunted with a Hawken 50 Cal when I was in my late teens. Been a bow hunter the majority of my adulthood, until some medical issues from my time in service left me 90% disabled. Most of it is shoulder and neck. So, no more bow hunting. Got into reloading and shooting rifles a while back as therapy after losing my son on 2021. He was my hunting and fishing partner, so it is hard being solo. But he would press me to get out of the house.

This year, I decided I wanted to beat the crowd on Ft Bragg (yes, it is Liberty now, but I am not on board yet) and black powder hunt before the rifle season starts. I bought a CVA Optima V2 with the thumbhole stock in patriot brown a few weeks back. Took it out for the first time Friday and got it sighted in with 100 grains of T7 and Hornady 290 BDs. I have 3 CVA Cascade rifles and CVA did not disappoint with this one. Great trigger. Still testing and looking for a little better accuracy (2 MOA group). Also, my first time hunting Bragg, so I am virtual scouting using OnX at the same time.

I have gotten good tips from folks on Hunt Talk, but figured this is a more focused forum. I appreciate all advice from experts and I don't like drama. What works for one may not work for another. One's favorite may not be the favorite of another. I just like what works and gets the job done. Not a fanboy of brands, as I usually will not buy anything without a military discount, sale or clearance. Although, good customer service makes me a return customer.

Thanks.

Welcome from Illinois. I also just bought an optima lr with thumbhole camo stock with patriot brown nitride finish. I don't have alot of time with it yet but it seems to prefer heavier charges and heavier ammo. Don't know if that works well with your neck and shoulder though.

Welcome from Illinois. I also just bought an optima lr with thumbhole camo stock with patriot brown nitride finish. I don't have alot of time with it yet but it seems to prefer heavier charges and heavier ammo. Don't know if that works well with your neck and shoulder though.
I ran a 290 with 100 grains of T7 and it was not an issue at all. My 308 seems to kick harder.

Welcome to the site. These folks have a vast knowledge of ML. They know where to point you in the right direction to get what you need.

Back