NEW TO FORUM - 223 GR AT & 60 GR POWDER & PRICES

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bart1

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am new. My name is Bart. I was wondering if a 223 gr. AT and 60 gr. of powder would be o.k. for an 8 yr. old? The longest dist. of any shot would be 50 yds. Would a 223 gr. have less recoil than a 245 gr.?

Wal Mart in Newberry, SC has 12 packs of PB 295 gr. AT for $7.00. Gander Mountain has 20 packs HP's for less than $12.00 and the 15 packs of AT's for less than $12.00. Shipping is very reasonable and FAST.

Thanks,
Bart

Welcome, glad to have you
My father in law shoots the 245HP with 70 grains of pyrodex rs..and has great accuracy all the way to 100 yards.

In theory it should have less recoil. . Might be so small that you can't feel it.
I know that the TC Powershocks 300 gr. have less recoil than the 295 HP powerbelt.

I can feel that

yeah the recoil with the 223gr and 60gr of powder will hardly even be there. Should be a great performing load on deer and easy on the 8 year old.

THANKS!

I am new to Muzzleloading. I ended up buying 3 guns. The deals were too good to pass up. I got a Remington Genesis for $99.95, a CVA Wolf for $100 and a CVA Buckhorn for $80.

Does anyone know why the Blackhorn 209 powder will not work in the Buckhorn?

its an open breech muzzle loader. You can really injure yourself with the cap exploding out of the Breech plug and hitting you. Thats one reason. The wolf and remington will shoot bh209 fine.

The buckhorn is a really great gun. They may be ugly but they are damn good shooters!

Welcome to the forum Bart!

Bart...glad to meet you!

The load should do pretty good. I would recommend giving it a try yourself to check for grouping. You may find 50...55...60...65 gr works the best for a light load. I would say play with it a bit before you hand it down to take away the accurate load variable that can upset a younger shoot real fast.

Latest posts

Back