new to me TC Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummy1

Reaction score
I got my TC Hawken today. It's in darn good shape. I cleaned the barrel with hot soapy water and the patches came out almost clean.
The ? I have is; there a little rust coming from the breach area. How should I clean that part? Also do I need a nipple wrench to remove the nipple or will something else work?
Thanks

Get a nipple wrench. Save yourself some grief. TC makes a nice sturdy one.

nipple wrench for sure, but in the meantime, you can use a 1/4" wrench that makes it doable.

As for the breech area, I always run some alcohol or carb spray down the bore, just floor it a little, and let it drain out the hole where the nipple threads into, that removes any moisture left and will not rust up.

FrontierGander said:
nipple wrench for sure, but in the meantime, you can use a 1/4" wrench that makes it doable.

As for the breech area, I always run some alcohol or carb spray down the bore, just floor it  a little, and let it drain out the hole where the nipple threads into, that removes any moisture left and will not rust up.

OK but how do I get the little bit o rut that's in there out? Is it OK to something like bore scrubber?
Also how would I remove or touch up some stock dings

Kroil or bore scrubber may work well. Use a 1" long piece of teflon tape and wrap the nipple threads, install, plug nipple and spray/pour some kroil or bore scrubber down there and let it soak a couple days. Flush out with alcohol and swab bore.

Once you load and fire it though, that rust will be gone. Just make sure you do the alcohol trick every time you clean to keep moisture out of there.

I use the 1/4 inch wrench most of the time, have one that is open end on one side and box on the other, run a string through the box end and tie to my powder measurer so I want lose it. works great. I also have a nipple wrench. 

You will enjoy that Hawkins, I just know it.

Latest posts

Back