New to Muzzleloading Need some Help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SC Hunter

Reaction score
Hello I am new and green to muzzleloading. I am an avid deer hunter and have decided to expand my weapons to enclude a muzzleloader. I purchased a T/C Encore .50 caliber 209X50 magnum. I have not fired the first shot yet and am looking for some tips.
I am considering using Triple 7 pellets with Power Belt Aero Tip 245 or 295 grain bullets but am open to suggestions. I have heard good things and bad (residue build up) about the Triple 7. Nothing but good about the Power Belts. Any suggestions on these would be appreciated.
Also how often do you clean it and should you shoot a fouling shot before you hunt?
Sorry I am sooo Green!

SC Hunter, the first thing I would do is disassemble and thoroughly clean that rifle. Prior to disassembly, you might want to download Mike Bellm's free trigger-job program at THIS LINK. The file name is Autorun.exe and I think it is a great resource for any Encore/G2 owner.

Make sure you have some good grease to reapply to that breechplug before reinstalling. Lots of folks like the Never-Seeze products but I prefer Slick50 ONE grease because it works very well, is inexpensive (Wal-Mart automotive), and is much easier to clean up.

Let your rifle decide whether you need to shoot from a fouled bore or not, some rifles will put that clean bore shot right with the rest - and some will put it dramatically removed from further shots. I would also advise you to get anything "magnum" removed from your thought process. The Encore is surely capable of 3 pellet loads but I wouldn't start there. 2 pellets to begin (or loose powder for economy and tuning is even better IMHO). Do a damp/dry swab cycle after each shot (sometimes after every 2 shots works better). Dampness can come from spit, Windex, homemade solutions such as moose-milk, or commercial products designed for that purpose.

Thoroughly clean the rifle after any significant shooting with something that will cut plastic residue from the bore. Make sure all solvents are swabbed out and coat the bore with a thin coating of something like BreakFree CLP or RemOil.

Another great load for the Encores and Omegas seems to be two or three Pyrodex pellets under a 200 to 250 grain SST. A couple of our northern friends here have had outstanding success with those loads.

Powerbelts can behave with wonderful accuracy or NOT. Depends upon the rifle. I would go with heavier PowerBelts if those are to be chosen.

There's a world of knowledge here about muzzleloading and I'm sure others will chime in to help you out. Welcome to the sport.

Rifleman, you're an animal! :wink:

You guys are eat up with this Savage stuff. The man bought an Encore and, in spite of their occasionally being quirky, I think he made a good choice.

Please give him something he can use - not the smokeless sales pitch.

Dont listen to all these Savage people its just their opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.
I have the Encore and have had great success with mine. I have been using 90gr. 777 with a 250gr Shockwave. I use a moist patch then a dry patch between each shot. I am getting less build up with loose powder then I was getting with pellets, and I think the Remington Kleen Bore primers are a little cleaner also.

Matt

Thanks Underclocked!!
For those who don't care for my choice in firearms, I did not choose the Encore just for muzzleloading, but for flexability. I have a son that I am stepping up in rifle calibers and the Encore allows me to have many options for him.
The Encore is brand new and I do not plan on returning it.

Underclocked
Should I remove the breech after each shot to perform the damp/dry cleaning?
Also who makes the SST and does it seal and go in as well as the Power Belt? The Power Belt 348 grain was reccomended by a friend for performance and accuracy. I just thought a lighter load would be more accurate and less punishing.
Also what type of solvent do you reccomend for the heavy cleaning to remove the plastic?

Should I remove the breech after each shot to perform the damp/dry cleaning?
Also who makes the SST and does it seal and go in as well as the Power Belt? The Power Belt 348 grain was reccomended by a friend for performance and accuracy. I just thought a lighter load would be more accurate and less punishing.
Also what type of solvent do you reccomend for the heavy cleaning to remove the plastic?

Breechplug - no, but some folks do loosen the plug ever so slightly after firing a few shots then snug it again. The idea is to break loose the crud that has formed and prevent seizure. With the ONE grease, I've found that not to be necessary but it is a good idea to break loose the plug at the end of extended shooting and before the barrel cools. Stuck plugs are no fun. Some also think the extractor helps reduce blowback by keeping the 209 properly aligned. My experience has not verified that and the convenience of being able to simply remove the breechplug is worthwhile. With the extractor removed, you can then remove the breechplug during a shoot or afterwards with no further disassembly of the rifle required. You'll find a standard 7/16 socket on an extension works well for a plug tool.

T/C makes an accessory extractor that pivots to the side allowing the same easy access - but it's a waste of money, IMHO.

If your breechplug is stubborn when using a grease only, try a single layer wrap of yellow or pink teflon tape over the threads. A touch of grease over the forward end of that tape with then suffice. Try it without it first though.

The SSTs are made by Hornady. I believe TC also markets the same bullet with their own label and price increase.

Depending upon the expected ranges of your shots (and unless you are in the beanfields, my guess is shorter ranges) the 348 grain PowerBelt might be a great choice if it performs well for you. You will never achieve .243 trajectories so don't even think in those terms. Reduced charges will increase comfort and still give you all you need (if you are practiced at the ranges you will encounter). Don't rely on trajectory tables, shoot your rilfe and see what it does in the real world. :) As far as loading ease, no... saboted bullets tend to be a bit harder to seat than Powerbelts. I recommend you invest in a quality range rod and save the use of that rod on the gun for hunting reloads only. Even then a palm saving short starter would be a big plus.

80 grains of a good powder behind a heavy and well-made conical will kill anything that walks this continent - so long as the shot is true. (but I would want backup for grizzlies :shock: :p ). Your best results will probably be with the 200-300 grain range of bullet weights while using sabots of appropriate size. Sorry for my conical bias. :) Del hates me. :oops:

I am more into conicals so some of these other guys might be better able to answer the solvent question....but I like Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine.

SC Hunter, Welcome to the board. :)

Your Encore is a fine Muzzleloader. 200grn Shockwaves/SST'S are a really accurate bullet in my Encore.

I also shot a few Deer this year with the 250grn XTP. This was another very accurate load.

The 44/50 300grn DeadCenter is another very accurate and effective load on Deer.

I would buy some different sabots and see what your Encore likes the best. MMP and harvester sabots are what i'm using in my Encore.

Loads between 100grns and 110grns of 777 have worked just fine.

Guys he's already made his choice. Can the Savage sales pitch.

Schunter,
I'd listen to Underclocked, Grouse, and encore4me. I don't have an Encore so I'm no help there. The Encore is a good rifle and I'm sure you'll like it. I've got an Omega that is a real shooter with 245 Gr. Barnes Spitfires and 100 gr of FFG Triple Seven. If you get a bunch of blowback (past the primer) you may want to look at PR Bullets 25 ACP conversion which uses a primed case as the primer. I've got one and it really kills the blowback going into the action. Saves me a bit of headache too.

I make my own bore cleaner 50% isopropyl alcohol and 50% windex. I use this for 75% of my cleaning when using 777. The other 25% of the time I will use a copper brush and Hoppies bore cleaner.
I took the extractor out of my Encore and have never had a problem without it. Like underclocked said I also use a 7/16 socket with an extension to clear my scope for breach plug removal.
I have some general knowledge :? of the Encore if you have any more questions.

Matt

Welcome to the board SC Hunter! The Encore is a first rate product as are all of Thompson/Centers products! Grouse and UC definitely know what they are talking about!

Thanks for all the positive feedback. It is a big help to have a valuble resource before I start :D
I am not sure about the blow back issue :shock: Sounds dangerous.
Also I am confused about the bullet diameter why is a .50 cal loaded with a .44 bullet :?:

I am not sure about the blow back issue Sounds dangerous.

Certainly not that big of an issue at all. In fact it is an issue with most muzzleloaders...

Also I am confused about the bullet diameter why is a .50 cal loaded with a .44 bullet

That's what the plastic sabot does. The sabot is actually .50 cal. They may be bought that will hold .40, .429, .451, and .458 caliber. You may ALSO shoot bullets that are actual bore diameter commonly called conicals such as Powerbelts, Maxiball, Maxihunter, No Excuses, etc...

You made a great purchase with the Encore. How many muzzleloaders can you have one receiver and have a .50 muzzleloader, 12ga shotgun, and have a rifle from .22 Hornet to .375 H&H and everything in between? NADA! :D

I am sure I am not the first to ask but why shoot a sabot that is not technically the correct caliber as opposed to shooting the conicals which are? :?

SC Hunter said:
I am sure I am not the first to ask but why shoot a sabot that is not technically the correct caliber as opposed to shooting the conicals which are? :?

Velocity and better BC. Also it enables you to use a jacketed bullet or solid copper buller which holds together better at the higher velocity. In other words, better terminal performance.

There's nothing wrong with bore size bullets but they do limit you some in trajectory and velocity. The lighter bullets such as the 245 gr. Powerbelt will give you trajectory but are poor performers on game. Low SD and they don't hold together well. In a 50 I wouldn't go less than 350 gr. or so.

I'm betting Razorback has an EXCELLENT reason on why to shoot saboted bullets! :lol:

WOW. Sabots? Bullets? Conicals? Loose Powder? Pellets? I think I need to shoot my first load at my own head :lol: Good Grief. What have I gotton into :shock:

SC Hunter said:
WOW. Sabots? Bullets? Conicals? Loose Powder? Pellets? I think I need to shoot my first load at my own head :lol: Good Grief. What have I gotton into :shock:

:lol: It's not hard once you get it straight. A good beginner load would be 2 Pyrodex Pellets and a 240 XTP. That's what I started with. Less fussing and it allows you to grow into it at your own rate. You can buy em prepackaged that way, or my preference, buy the bullets and sabots seperately. It's much cheaper that way.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=224132 If you've got a local dealer who sells reloading supplies you might try there first. It'll save you shipping. Plus Midway USA charges a $3.00 fee for orders under $25.00.

And for sabots, http://www.mmpsabots.com/

My pistol likes the standard green sabots but for a rifle I'd go with the Green HPH sabots. You'll need 2 bags as they are 50/bag and the bullets come per hundred. 2 Pellets should give you decent accuracy and if you buy as I've suggested you'll have plenty of ammo to get to know your new rifle.

Your looking at around $35 for 100 shots and if you bought the Hornady prepackaged 240 XTP's you'd get 60 shots for that amount.

big6x6 said:
I'm betting Razorback has an EXCELLENT reason on why to shoot saboted bullets! :lol:

:lol: If I made em I'd shoot em too! Heck I imagine that's half the fun! :D

I've used Slick Fifty One grease for two years.Three bucks well spent for enough to last years.No beech plugs,nipples,or vent liners stuck since.As a rule I check for tightness every 20 shots or so because every thing seems to come out to easily.

It's topics like this that makes this such a great forum. One minute the moderators and experts are talking about stuff that is over alot of our heads and the next minute they get down to the basics to help a new guy get started off on the right foot.

Hats off to this forum!!

Latest posts

Back