New varmint rifle.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal45

Reaction score
I've never been vavmint hunting but my buddy asked me if I wanted to go coyote hunting in the near future. I didn't have a rifle for varmint hunting so I bought one. :D It is a SS Savage varmint series .223Rem with 26'' fluted barrel and black synthetic stock. I mounted a Swift Premier 4.4-14X44 mil-dot scope on it. What do you guys think of this rig? I also want to reload 50gr rounds for it. Does anyone have a load worked up for this caliber with this weight bullet?

Savage rifles shoot great. I have a 12FLV .223 that shoots bug holes most of the time. I tried alot of different loads and settled on Vit N-133, Rem 7 1/2 Primers and 50 grn V-max bullets. You need to work up the powder weight in your rifle, mine is a hot load. I would start at 24 grains and see how it shoots. My load is 26.0 grains and is moving at 3700+ fps. Shoots 1/2 or less at 100 yards.
good luck on the coyotes. Most guys here hunt them with dogs or at night with shotguns or 22 mags. I have been trying for 2 years during the day, only called 2 in with no shots. Send me a PM I"m near Lansing.

That really SHOULD be a great shooting rifle!

As far as loads go I have not been able to consistantly beat W748 or H-335 for powder. Bullets? I'd try at least TWO, one flat base and one boat-tail to see which your rifle likes. For a flat base I really like the Speer #1030 TNT 50gr hollow point. It's built just like a custom match bullet at a great price. SHOOTS great too! For a boat-tail pick either the Sierra #1450 50gr Blitz-King, Hornady #2261 50gr V-Max, or Nosler #39522 50gr Ballistic tip. I have shot all of those and can't tell any accuracy difference and usually settle on the V-max because it's usually cheaper and I like RED! :D

As for powder charges... for EITHER powder, I usually start out with 26.5gr and also try 27.0gr and 27.5gr, shooting for best accuracy. Primers? You'll never beat a Winchester WSR!

I have the savage 10FP and it should have the same twist as yours.If you want to try a 55gr bullet check out the load below.
223260aug3105.jpg

Back