Nikon Omega Muzzleloading Scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doohan

Reaction score
Looking through my newest Cabelas catalog I noticed Nikon has a new line of scopes/reticles for '06. The Nikon Omega looks to be obviously suited to the T/C line of Omega/Encore/Contender with their notorious short distance ring to ring. ...

The Omega is the first Nikon? scope specifically designed for muzzleloader shooting. A full 5" of eye relief, combined with the new BDC-250 reticle, make this scope perfectly designed for muzzleloaders. The available new BDC-250 trajectory-compensating reticle will revolutionize your muzzleloader shooting by taking the guesswork out of crosshair placement. It was designed using the .50-caliber T/C Omega rifle with a 28" barrel, 250-grain bullet and 150 grains of Pyrodex. All you have to do is sight in the crosshair at 100 yards at 9X, determine distance to your target and use the appropriate ballistic circle. The small series of "ballistic circles" measure 2" at 100 yards - allowing a clear view of your target. These circles give you accurate aiming points at 150, 200, 225 and 250 yards. Range it, sight it, shoot it. No more guessing. Nikon's multicoating gives light transmission up to 92% for clear images, even in low light. Hand-turn 1/4-MOA click adjustments. Waterproof, fogproof and shockproof. Lifetime warranty.

See it here: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat601329&hasJS=true

That's not a bad looking scope. Be interesting to see a report on them. Somebody (Big6x6) will get one soon I'm sure! :wink:

Doohan said:
Nic_58 said:
Somebody (Big6x6) will get one soon I'm sure! :wink:

I was thinking the same thing! :D

Well BOTH of ya'll need to drop back and regroup then! :D

I actually THOUGHT about it...but knowing how much I DISlike those ballistic-type reticles and how much Doohan LOVES ballistic-type reticles...I was thinking that HE should have one of those coming to Frost and Co! 8)

I like ballistic type reticles but not that one. I'm not sure the circles would be good at long range even at maximum magnification. Lines while they cover more of the deer at long range seem to work well. I also don't like the long eye relief. 5" is too much on a rifle. I used a ballistic type reticle a couple years back to take a small doe at 201 yds. I wouldn't have tried that shot without it.

The one I'd like to try is the Long Range Duplex reticle from Leupold. It's basically the Burris Ballisitic Plex but with 2 additional lines instead of 3. Maybe I'll get a chance to get one this spring.

The Omega is also made with the standard Nikoplex reticle.If I were to try one, thats the one I would choose.The circle set up looks like it could get confusing on close,fast shots,especially with my motor skills.The Burris set up looks more simple to me.

that's right, u can get that omega scope w/ nikoplex or ballistic plex reticle. i did some research on it and it appears to be a buckmasters, but shorter and with greater eye relief. light transmission, etc., is the same as a buckmasters (which is pretty good . . . an advertised 92% i believe)

Doohan said:
Looking through my newest Cabelas catalog I noticed Nikon has a new line of scopes/reticles for '06. The Nikon Omega looks to be obviously suited to the T/C line of Omega/Encore/Contender with their notorious short distance ring to ring. ...

The Omega is the first Nikon? scope specifically designed for muzzleloader shooting. A full 5" of eye relief, combined with the new BDC-250 reticle, make this scope perfectly designed for muzzleloaders. The available new BDC-250 trajectory-compensating reticle will revolutionize your muzzleloader shooting by taking the guesswork out of crosshair placement. It was designed using the .50-caliber T/C Omega rifle with a 28" barrel, 250-grain bullet and 150 grains of Pyrodex. All you have to do is sight in the crosshair at 100 yards at 9X, determine distance to your target and use the appropriate ballistic circle. The small series of "ballistic circles" measure 2" at 100 yards - allowing a clear view of your target. These circles give you accurate aiming points at 150, 200, 225 and 250 yards. Range it, sight it, shoot it. No more guessing. Nikon's multicoating gives light transmission up to 92% for clear images, even in low light. Hand-turn 1/4-MOA click adjustments. Waterproof, fogproof and shockproof. Lifetime warranty.

See it here: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat601329&hasJS=true

I have one of the New Nikon Omega scopes on my pro-hunter Encore. He is my range results.

I am shooting the Encore Pro-hunter 50 Cal, 3-9x40 Omega Muzzleloading Rifle scope Silver BDC-250 and TC 250 Gr. Bonded Shock Wave sabots over 120 gr. of loose triple 7 and Remington Kleen bore M/L primers. I got the gun sighted in very quick after I bore sighted it and started shooting sub-MOA groups at 100 yards. I did a final 3 shot group at 100 yards and all three bullet holes were touching. I put a 4 inch clay target out at 200 yards to see how close I could come with the new set up. My buddy was watching through my spotting scope and when I shot he said, you blew it up. I hit the 4 inch clay target at 200 yards. Then I shot several more at 200 yards and could not be happier with this set up.

As far as loading, I did a 9 shot string without cleaning or swabbing the barrel and did not have a problem loading the sabots in the gun. It was a little tighter than a clean barrel, but still I was able to load it with little effort. I shot a total of 30 rounds through the gun today. I wish my Browning slug gun would of shot this well today..

I can say that the trajectory compensating reticle works as advertised.
I am waiting on my Winchester triple seven primers to give them a try also, but the Remington Kleen bore primers works well.

Back