Nipple fix

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some time ago I mentioned I had a percussion Lyman that I had purchased that had been put away in tough shape and I was able to make it shootable. It is a 45 caliber of approximately 1973 manufacture. Shooting 47 grains of 777 would rebound the hammer to the safety position, but it was late September when I acquired the rifle and I didn't pursue that part of the problem. A month ago I measured the nipple hole size and it was, .039 so that's why it was rebounding the hammer. Near as I could tell the thread size was 12 mm for the nipple and the Dixie site had the most nipples available so I ordered one in stainless. Didn't fully read the description and got a Magnum Musket nipple, which of course would fit the gun but not the hammer or number 11 caps. Postage was more than the nipple, so sending it back didn't make sense so I chucked it in my drill press, and using a fairly new bastard cut file I was able to cut it down and shorten it to where a number 11 Fit. Being I use 777, I did bore it out to a .031 Center hole to get away from misfires. Chucking it in the drill press didn't seem to do any thread damage and it screwed right in. Now I just need warm weather to try it out. It didn't file all that easy, but not that hard either, as all I had to do was duplicate that part of the old nipple. Whatever it's worth to anyone else, it seemed to be a fairly simple job to do.
Squint

I think the Lyman takes a 6X.75mm nipple.
Some people do grind the nipple a bit for a better cap fit.
Thanks deermanok, for the come back and you are absolutely right. I was working off of faulty memory and I just double checked and that's what it is,
6 x .75 MM. It really seemed to be fairly easy to run the file against the nipple, and I discovered that I had to brace it by supporting it against the drill press post otherwise it seemed to wobble on me. Once I did that I was able to shape it fairly good.
It's 12 below here right now so is going to be a while before I can check it out, I know I could go outside and shoot a cap off, but that doesn't mean that it would discharge a load and that's going to have to all wait for probably three months. Again thanks for setting in.
Squint

Thanks deermanok, for the come back and you are absolutely right. I was working off of faulty memory and I just double checked and that's what it is,
6 x .75 MM. It really seemed to be fairly easy to run the file against the nipple, and I discovered that I had to brace it by supporting it against the drill press post otherwise it seemed to wobble on me. Once I did that I was able to shape it fairly good.
It's 12 below here right now so is going to be a while before I can check it out, I know I could go outside and shoot a cap off, but that doesn't mean that it would discharge a load and that's going to have to all wait for probably three months. Again thanks for setting in.
Squint
Glad I could help out.
Good shooting in the spring.

12 below!!! 82 today in north Florida 🥵

I want you to know this isn't bragging, but is 19 below right now where we live. We've always said that our extremes keep the riffraff out but that's probably an overstatement. When you're retired, it's not a big deal, but for 32 years of my working life I spent a lot of it outside in all kinds of conditions, before I finally had a job that I was mainly inside with. The best part is most generally when it's this cold, the wind doesn't blow but when it does, the chill factor is pretty tough.
Squint

I had -10 here yesterday at 6 in the morning. Supposed to get right down there again tonight too. I used to sit on a bucket on the open ice fishing when it was well below zero and thought nothing of it. When I was about 65 I sold all the ice fishing stuff after I figured out that I didn't need fish that bad. Life goes on even when its cold.

Growing up in New England, I was accustomed to the winters there.
Since moving to Oklahoma 3 years ago, my wife and I have become used to the warmer weather here.
We're freezing if the temperature is in the 50's now, Lol
It isn't hard to figure out which part of Montana I live in, as it is -34 right now. It's really a dry cold and like right now the wind is not blowing at all, it's Plum still. As we get older it gets tough to breathe in this and some of us were a face mask or a scarf if we are out in it. As the saying goes, if you don't like it, just wait, It'll change in a couple of days. Trying out my new nipple is just going to have to wait, Probably more than a couple of days.
Squint

Back