Northern Ohio Late Season Questions!?!?!?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbarnettoc14

Reaction score
Hello all! After a dismal shotgun/muzzleloader season for myself I decided to break out my cross bow for the first time in 3 years... I usually don't hunt after shotgun/ml season but due to lack of "deer slaying" this year I have too... I was just wondering if any scents/or calls work this late in the year... Also I was wondering if the deer are starting to change their patterns... I have not seen a herd of more than 5 deer this year at a time, then all of a sudden last night on my way home from the woods I saw a herd of more than 130+ in 3 fields... any knowledge will be much appreciated! Thanks all in advance! :D

I'm no expert by any means, so take this for what it's worth. But if I were to be bow hunting this time of year you definately need to be hunting over a food source or a high traffic trail leading from the bed to a food source. Deer have but three things on there minds right now: food, water, shelter. I would leave the calls and scents home until next years rut.
Try to gain permission to one of those fields if you can.

its all about cover and food. IF you have cover close by the food then you are good for daylight hunts on food sources. if your deer are having to travel a good bit for the food then you have to get close to the cover. they might not be getting to the food till well after dark.

course if the temps are very very very cold then throw that out the window and get on a hot food source cause they gotta move and gotta eat

Back