sight in question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so today i had the chance to shoot a few shots to fine tune for deer season. im shooting a knight mountaineer 50 cal 300grn harrvester white lightning 88 gbw bh209 lot 39. i wanted to be dead on at 100 as i wont have any shots farther than that. my first shot i was 3 inches high at 100 yards. i adjusted my scope accordingly and brought it right down to bull. all is good. then i wanted to check at 50yrds pretty much the same hole. does all this sound normal. m thinking is if i want to be dead on at 100 i should accualy shoot a little lower at 50. i know if i want to shoot farther i would need to be high at 50 and 100. any thoughts thanks.

First, how many shots did you fire at 100 after adjusting the sights and second, the same. How many shots at 50?
My .45 Moutaineer with a 300 gr SST is dead on at 100 and just over 2" high at 50.
Your 88 gr charge is pretty stout so I'm guessing you would only be 1"-1 1/2" high at 50.
Your one shot at 50 doesn't tell the whole tale.

ingramjets,​

Not sure this will give you the answers you are looing for because I Point Blank Range sighting in. So at 100 I want to be about 3" high.

Even then if you look at the 100 yard and compare it to the 50 yard there is not a lot of difference.

Lehigh458-300.jpg

Thanks for the responses. I was shooting in an area where I could only shoot a few times without alerting the neighbors. I know I need more shots down range but will only be able to shoot at 50 yards My load of 88 gbw of bh209 should be 110 by volume with lot 39. This load was recommended by harvester because of the green crush rib sabot. He said they are pretty stiff and needed a little more to properly separate from the bullet.

Latest posts

Back