Old powder disposal?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tooldog

Reaction score
I've got about a pound and a half of really old Pyrodex RS powder that doesn't shoot well anymore. It seems to have gotten some moisture (or something) in it from when I used to store it in the basement. Sometimes it fires, sometimes it doesn't. It looks like it has a white mold or powder in it. Any ideas on how to gid rid of it. I can't throw it in the trash and I don't have a place to burn it up. Any ideas would be appreciated.

tooldog

ive been told to sprinkle it on your lawn and then spray it with a hose. the only powder i have ever disposed of in a manner other than shooting it out of a gun was a pound of "black canyon" powder. that stuff was darn near worthless. all i did with it was throw it in the trash . . . cause the powder had all clumped together to form one gigantic hideous mass. :shock:

tooldog

I got rid of a couple bottles of Clean Shot - threw it out on the lawn like I was fertilizing and and then water the yard.... It is water soluable...

Thanks. I'll try the yard fertilizer route and hope it doesn't kill the grass.

tooldog

well you could always line it along flower beds or sidewalk edges. That way if it does kill the grass your fine, less work. It it makes the grass grow, you have to cut it anyway...

I personally would burn it, but that's the pyro in me. :lol:

I personally would burn it, but that's the pyro in me.

(Deep breath in) AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I love the smell of blackpowder in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Back