old school archery brag

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groovy Mike

Reaction score
I'm new here but I'm gonna brag anyway and hope that you enjoy the story.

Sunday we took my niece and nephew to the Sterling Renaissance faire.

The lance shattering jousts of armored nights on horseback were impressive.

And since low bodices were in fashion in 1585 the buxom wenches were more so!

At the end of the day after eating far too much, and watching a few shows including fire swallowing trapeze artists and a rendition of Don Quote performed in a mud pit, Sir Michael put down his $5 to enter the archery tournament against all comers. God was kind enough to allow me not to embarrass myself. The tourney was open to anyone who cared to pay for their chance to win the $25 beer stein/trophy. 19 of us shot three arrows for score at 20 yards with recurve bows of 35 lb draw. My first shot hit an inch high off paper. A slight adjustment (aiming at the BOTTOM of the paper) put the next arrow inside the 9 ring and the final in the BULL for a score of 19 out of a possible 30. My closest competition was a comely lass of 20 odd with her leather vest (and not much under it!) who shot a score 13. Most of the manly fellows who scored less were familiar with their compound bows and mechanical releases. But this was old school with bare fingers on strings ? something that a week chaperoning in scout camp gets you used to :)

As the evening thunderstorms rolled in we scampered for the car with trophy in hand, only stopping long enough to pick up a case of wine from the booth of our favorite vineyard.

Back