Owl call

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, I use a hoot owl call. Somedays it works great, other times nothing. I carry an owl, crow, and peacock locators.

Right before dusk.. hide in the woods and blow that. As the turkeys go to roost for the night, you will hear them call out in responce to the owl call. Then you know basically about where they might be roostung. In the early morning and can plan your set up accordingly.

I also use an owl hoot usually done by mouth. In preseason scouting I use the hoot to find the birds rather than actual calling because I feel that using a turkey call educates the birds and soon they will not come in. I also use a very loud crow call and several times a coyote howler. In the preseason you are not trying to get the bird into range but just to locate them. During the season I have used the very loud crow call to locate a bird and then the hunt is on.

I know people will think I am nuts for saying this but it seems that the heavy hunted birds here in Massachusetts do not respond to an owl call. When we first had a turkey season enacted, the owl call was an excellent means of locating turkeys for the next day's hunt. Gobblers would give out their location at dusk. Then it seemed over the next few years the birds gobbled at the call less and less and less.

Now it seems to be a futile effort. I have tried a number of times in places I know they are roosting and would not gobble or respond in any way to the owl call. It seems that the owl call will only get a response from another owl.

I use a dog whistle and two owl calls,crow,pileated woodpecker,hawk and sometimes an air horn.

Back