Patched Round Balls in My Shotguns

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
I decided to compare the two percussion SxS shotguns I have to see which one shoots PRBs the best. All were shot standing offhand by pointing the bead at the target since there is no rear sight. I just raised the gun and fired as I do when wingshooting.

I put the target board at 50 yards and fired 3 .690 PRBs with .022 pillow ticking patches in the CVA first. I shot the right barrel first and the ball went 6" right at 2:00. The left barrel was shot twice as it it is open a little more (.729" compared to .726" in the right barrel). Both shots were close at 9:00 about 6-7" out.

PRBinShotgunsWEB_zpsc1d9148a.jpg

The Pietta shot almost dead center with the right barrel and 4"+ low at 6:00 with a .715 ball and a .013 patch. That's going to be my close-range deer gun next Fall.

That .715 ball will most definitely put anything it hit down with authority !

I've got a .75 Tower Musket flint lock that I want to try with balls sometime ....imo it is also more of a shotgun than a rifle as the sights are very difficult to use.

Latest posts

Back