Peep vs open sights

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Folks would appreciate some feedback.
I read the following article
https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/increased-accuracy-from-an-open-sight-muzzleloaderAnd a lot of the threads promote a peep sight.
Having always used open sights or a scope I would like to know ;
1. How restricted is your view of the target, say an Elk.
2. I assume to get a wide view through the peep you need to be pretty close to the sight.

Since I only have limited vision in my right eye , I will have to shoot left handed. I don't want to chance damaging my good eye.

I will be asking my optometrist to complete the special permits for a scope for those States that have that option.

Any info on using a peep would be great.
Thank you

I had a PeepRib on my cva optima v2, it was the larger diameter peep for good visibility at sunrise and sunset and I would say it was at least 4-5” if not a little more clearance. I shot that for 2 seasons. I did change out the front sight as well when I went to the peep rib to lower it and get a finer fiber optic on the front.

Since then I have went to a 1x sig romeo 5 red dot. It’s a 2moa dot and 1x magnification so it is legal here in SD for muzzleloader season. I prefer that much to the peep, but both were much better than open sights.

The picture attached is the gun, and it has both on it still. The PeepRib is an optics rail/mount so you can see both in the picture. The peep does not interfere with the red dot.

Attached also is my best 3 shot group to date at 75 yards. Done with the red dot. That was my best group, but I can stay solidly at 1-1.5” all the time and I have had multiple groups close to the attached one.

Attachments

• 8F6E2B5F-FDED-4C50-828D-C3DAA5FAB894.jpeg
    8F6E2B5F-FDED-4C50-828D-C3DAA5FAB894.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • E7A3020F-0D35-4100-A432-F6FF38608F53.jpeg
    E7A3020F-0D35-4100-A432-F6FF38608F53.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I’ve muzzy hunted all over and in many states requiring open sights for about 35 years. My preference in order is scope, red dot, peep, blade/bead type open sights.

If I have to use open sights, a peep sight is my choice hands down. I too like a Peep Rib or Ace in the hole type rail with peep so I can easily use a scope for load development and then a peep for hunting. Using a scope for load development makes a huge difference.

As for the view through a peep - a lot depends on how close you have it mounted to your eye, the size of the aperture and the design of the peep. As for the front bead, I like a very fine fiber optic bead in a globe.

My current favorite is a Williams peep rib rear with a Williams Western Precision fiber optic front globe.

I do have a rifle that I set up with the Lyman/Marble front (as described in the article) but I much prefer the Williams Western fiber optic globe. Lots of info in other posts here on this forum regarding peeps and fiber optics.

Nearly all peep sights use removable apertures so you can use a larger or smaller one to suit your eyes and the light conditions. The size of the aperture affects how your eye focuses on the front bead. For me, the Merit adjustable iris aperture is nice.

Some more reading for you:

https://www.ssusa.org/content/visua...d by contact lens complications, or injuries.
https://meritcorporation.com/products.html
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/williams-new-fiberoptic-globe.42010/page-2

I’ve muzzy hunted all over and in many states requiring open sights for about 35 years. My preference in order is scope, red dot, peep, blade/bead type open sights.

If I have to use open sights, a peep sight is my choice hands down. I too like a Peep Rib or Ace in the hole type rail with peep so I can easily use a scope for load development and then a peep for hunting. Using a scope for load development makes a huge difference.

As for the view through a peep - a lot depends on how close you have it mounted to your eye, the size of the aperture and the design of the peep. As for the front bead, I like a very fine fiber optic bead in a globe.

My current favorite is a Williams peep rib rear with a Williams Western Precision fiber optic front globe.

I do have a rifle that I set up with the Lyman/Marble front (as described in the article) but I much prefer the Williams Western fiber optic globe. Lots of info in other posts here on this forum regarding peeps and fiber optics.

Nearly all peep sights use removable apertures so you can use a larger or smaller one to suit your eyes and the light conditions. The size of the aperture affects how your eye focuses on the front bead. For me, the Merit adjustable iris aperture is nice.

Some more reading for you:

https://www.ssusa.org/content/visua...d by contact lens complications, or injuries.
https://meritcorporation.com/products.html
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/williams-new-fiberoptic-globe.42010/page-2
Thank you appreciate the advice and links, have a great day

https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/increased-accuracy-from-an-open-sight-muzzleloaderAnd a lot of the threads promote a peep sight.
2. I assume to get a wide view through the peep you need to be pretty close to the sight.

Since I only have limited vision in my right eye , I will have to shoot left handed. I don't want to chance damaging my good eye.

I will be asking my optometrist to complete the special permits for a scope for those States that have that option.

Thank you
Dave, I love my peep sights and think I am less prone to sighting errors using them. I have four rifles equipped as such, one a .50 cal. TC Gray Hawk, a Winchester Big Bore “94” in .356 Win., a Henry AR-7 Survival Rifle and a Kel-Tek Sub 2000 Pistol Caliber Carbine.
I have a good field of view with them and they’re fast on target for me. One slight downside is they become hard to see in really dim light. If that happens I take the peep out and sight through the threads as a “ghost ring.

Last edited:
You won't get "scope-eye" from a peep. Not saying it couldn't be done, but you'd really have to try to hurt yourself. There's always that one guy, right? Based on where they are mounted, if you use anything like good posture and alignment for marksmanship, you won't have a problem.

Thank you
See what works for you...I prefer peep sites. But I've also used them for sometime. Converted my lever action to a peep sight. Never thought of converting my side saddles to a peep sight. Question with a peep sight to you...do you want a circle or post for the front sight. Since you focus on that front sight your eye does a better job of centering that front sight through that circle in the rear or rear peep sight. Find a buddy with a peep sight even on a pellet rifle & try it.

See what works for you...I prefer peep sites. But I've also used them for sometime. Converted my lever action to a peep sight. Never thought of converting my side saddles to a peep sight. Question with a peep sight to you...do you want a circle or post for the front sight. Since you focus on that front sight your eye does a better job of centering that front sight through that circle in the rear or rear peep sight. Find a buddy with a peep sight even on a pellet rifle & try it.
Didn't see that article until after I hit send...concur with the info in that article especially with the globe front sight. Some people prefer the front post vs globe. Gary Anderson Olympic gold medalist used a post vs globe for a front sight. I prefer the double circles but I'm not the caliber of a competitive shooter. I want quick target acquisition...plus you can change the size of the circles front & rear...

That is a very good idea, failing that I would like to find an adjustable V back sight and a raised bead front sight. Thanks for the info

Dave, I love my peep sights and think I am less prone to sighting errors using them. I have four rifles equipped as such, one a .50 cal. TC Gray Hawk, a Winchester Big Bore “94” in .356 Win., a Henry AR-7 Survival Rifle and a Kel-Tek Sub 2000 Pistol Caliber Carbine.
I have a good field of view with them and they’re fast on target for me. One slight downside is they become hard to see in really dim light. If that happens I take the peep out and sight through the threads as a “ghost ring.
Concur...same here. I put a peep sight on my lever action...

I use Skinner peeps on many of my guns and with a post sight painted white or hunter orange. If you use a six o'clock hold your front sight doesn't cover your target. I hunt out to about 250 yards on large game with the peeps.

All of my rifles, save my 2 breechloaders, wear aperture sights.
I find I'm as good with them to 200 yards as I am with a 4x scope. My vision demands a rather small aperture, which has the side benifit of a slight magnifying effect. A very beneficial effect it is!
Yes, I do lose some first/ last light time. But it's a non-issue to me. If it's that low light, I probably shouldn't be shooting anyway.
Aperture sights are legal everywhere. Even in our Pennsylvania flintlock season!
They're light weight add virtually no bulk and generally look good. And they ARE accurate. The smallest 3 round group I ever shot, breech or muzzleloader and regardless of sights, was 5/16ths.
At 100 yards.
With a muzzloader.
My T/C Firehawk. 50 cal.

All of my rifles, save my 2 breechloaders, wear aperture sights.
I find I'm as good with them to 200 yards as I am with a 4x scope. My vision demands a rather small aperture, which has the side benifit of a slight magnifying effect. A very beneficial effect it is!
Yes, I do lose some first/ last light time. But it's a non-issue to me. If it's that low light, I probably shouldn't be shooting anyway.
Aperture sights are legal everywhere. Even in our Pennsylvania flintlock season!
They're light weight add virtually no bulk and generally look good. And they ARE accurate. The smallest 3 round group I ever shot, breech or muzzleloader and regardless of sights, was 5/16ths.
At 100 yards.
With a muzzloader.
My T/C Firehawk. 50 cal.
And no battery to fail...

Back