Pheasant Hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tar-12

Reaction score
Do we have any huntable populations of wild birds in Indiana?We used to have a few birds around Fountain co.,but no more.The fence row clearing is killing the birds off!And the yotes! I would like to see mandated 15 ft. fence rows!

Coyote dogs

Several years back,I got to experience the hunt of a lifetime! A old buddy from Illinois called me up and asked if I wanted to go bust some yotes,well I said sure of course!Man did I have some surprises in store for me!When I got there they had dogs loaded up.I started getting real excited! I love to hunt everything with dogs(No deer).They had strike dogs and psycho kill dogs!We killed 4 that day.Only one was shot.The kill dog,a plott/pitbull cross killed 3,his name was PSYCHO.He killed yotes like a feist killing rats! Awsome!

I put out some pen raised birds in my CRP a few times. A few birds have made it and wintered over. I tried the same thing with quail, just a waste of money. The quail were dumber than a box of rocks, actually I think I was the dumb one for trying it the second time. I may get a chance to have wild birds planted because of the excellent cover I have. I burned my 17 acres of western tall prairie grass last year, what a fire. It cleaned out rosebushes, small volunteer scrub trees etc and helped the grass. It gets over 8 feet tall and is so thick you cannot see very far in it. The deer love it. I found a shed that was 2 3/4 inch in diameter at the base. Alot of mass but not too high of tines.

My friend planted what the local Pheasants Forever suggested,It did not take but one year for the birds to establish there! And you are right the deer love it! This had not been deer hunted for some 18 odd years,I get a call one day from Brian asking if I wanted to get my son set up for his first deer,Well of course!!! The deer flooded into this place when the guns all around fired up!! He shot his first deer there! My friend has since kept that one stand up.Each and every year he brings another young boy or girl out to his farm for their first hunt! We need more people like him!!

A local CO told me that the winters were not the hard part of the year on the birds. He claims that chiggers will kill them so the summer months are when most of them die off. I have no idea how true that is, but he had no reason to lie to me about it.

Back in my teens, it was nothing to limit out daily.But no more.I think I will have to travel to the Dakotas to relive the by gone days.There just isnt anything like a quail or pheasant exploding at your feet!Gotta love it!

You would not believe all the pheasants I saw in Michigan last year. LaPier county ( if I spelled it right).

speaking of pheasants. going out Monday and Tuesday for the last two days of glory. Last year we limited out on closing day. Maybe will get lucky again.

Rifleman said:
You would not believe all the pheasants I saw in Michigan last year. LaPier county ( if I spelled it right).
Dwight,Inquiring mind has to know,you got relatives there? :lol: :lol: :lol:

No not really, my kid was working on a farm and dating the farmers daughter. Well that went south when he dumped her!

Rifleman said:
No not really, my kid was working on a farm and dating the farmers daughter. Well that went south when he dumped her!
Those women sure mess things up! :shock:

Back