Picked up my NEW Omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked her up yesterday. Must say, that after 17 years ( owners manual with a 1/03 date) she's in great shape. But DIRTY with crusty storage gunk. I don't know what TC put in the barrel back then, but the bore is copper colored. Shows no rust or pitting, but its a curious color.
The trigger pull is very fine and crisp. Maybe 3 3&1/2 pounds. No creep.
So far as size goes, she's a great beast compared to my Firehawk.
I put my TC peep sight on. Its the one that looks like a converted open sight, so she's ready to hit the range, next nice day.
The Omega rounds out my battery quite nicely. Along with her sisters, now I can use every ignition source out there short of a match lock. The Omega can use BH209, and any other sub out there. My Firehawk, Hawken and flintlock cover the rest.
The QLA on this one is the nicest I've seen. I'm hopeful she will shoot lead well too.
I think ( ha ha ha) I'm done now.
Range report and pics to follow.

I actually like bore butter. The trick is, the bore must be DRY before you use it. I use an alcohol patch as it takes moisture away when it evaporates.
Oxidized bore butter can give the unfamiliar a coronary. Looks like you'll have a rotted bore. But once you get it cleaned out, shiny. Ymmv of course.
I did just pick up some BH209.
Trigger finger's getting itchy!
I'm glad to have the Omega. I now have a bit of everything!

I cleaned her up. Gave the bore a good scrub with JB, but the copper color is still there.
Irrc, the Omega came out in '02, and my owner's manual is dated Jan of '03. The breechplug is the deep one and not the shallow type. A curious thing is she doesn't have the gas vent in the bottom of the breech. I wrapped the plug with plumber's tape and she's now ready for the range.
Will most likely use my go to load. A 250 grain .45 XTP in a Harvester crush rib over 70 of 3f Swiss black.
I do have some BH209, but was wondering how BH209 velocities compares to Swiss volume to volume. By this I mean will 70 grains( volume) of each give similar velocities? 70 of Swiss gives me 1575 fps from my Firehawk. It a fine load.
Has anyone tried equal volumes of BH209 and black to see how the velocities compare?

Back