Poll - What style of bullet are you currently primarily using for hunting in an inline rifle?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What style of bullet are you currently using for hunting?

• Full-bore conical

Votes: 40 27.4%
  • Bullet-to-bore/Land rider

Votes: 23 15.8%
  • Sabot/Bullet

Votes: 83 56.8%

• Total voters
Totally depends on the rifle I'm using:

.45 smokeless: 300gr Fury black tip or 300gr Arrowhead NSR

.50 Savage ML II: 300gr Fury start tip with short black MMP sabot or 300gr Barnes Original Semi-Spitzer w orange MMP sabot

.54 Custom side lock: .535 Berger ball with a lubed pillow ticking patch

.50 Pedersoli Hawken Hunter: 90grns 777 with a 270gr Platinum Powerbelt

.50 Traditions Youth Buckstalker (daughter's gun): 2 50gr 777 pellets and a 270gr Powerbelt

I have others that I mix around depending on the day and what hunting scenario I'm in- love to ML hunt. Haven't gotten out the Flintlock yet this year. Will be hunting this week in IA with my two smokeless ML's- have quite a bit of room to take a shot in a couple spots.

Bullet to bore 265 Fury STB in my 45cal 1:20 Mongrel Omega with a GM barrel. For those wondering about performance on deer. That is a 265 g Fury after passing through humourus and on side rib, through the heart and another rib going out. Caught on off side skin. Final weight is 234 gr and approximate .750" in diameter.
Nice, TY for the bullet pic. I think thats the first STB I've seen recovered from an animal.

The stb is a .015" thick jacket. They obturate quicker shooting bullet to bore with lighter smokeless loads. Giving me better groups with my woodman arms .45 cal patriot, 1 and 18 mcgowen. Shot 3 deer with these bullets, all bang flopped and complete pass threws. Did not get in time for any 200 or 300 yard groups, moa at 100 yds..

It all depends on the rifle. Either a .501" cast, a .451" cast, a saboted Barnes 290 gr TEZ, a 300 gr XTP saboted, a paper patched or a 451
I- bullet

Well, being a DWB and such, I shoot big lead boolits. In .504 I shoot the NEX 460's. For the .451 I think I'll go with Ed's 345gr Gould HPs. Most of my shots are 50 yards or less so the rainbow trajectory doesn't come into play. Besides I hate dickin around with sabots.

Last edited:
Trying the Fury 50 universal 285 gr for this season.
Likewise ! My old Stainless mk-85 is going to get a chance to digest them as well !
90 grn 3f by volume is what the 285 Powerbelts one holed @ 100. Also going to try harvester black w/ couple others too !
Trying to get 150-175 yds whitetail load ! Need all guidance I can get !

Way back on the second page of this thread michigan muzzie mentioned knurling jacketed bullets to be used in sabots. I don't care what bullet I am shooting, if it rides in a sabot it is also knurled and indeed the groups do tighten up. Just food for thought.

Latest posts

Back