Poll - What style of bullet are you currently primarily using for hunting in an inline rifle?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What style of bullet are you currently using for hunting?

• Full-bore conical

Votes: 40 27.4%
  • Bullet-to-bore/Land rider

Votes: 23 15.8%
  • Sabot/Bullet

Votes: 83 56.8%

• Total voters
i just picked up some of the bullets from ssk 265 grn cf. they load nice but havent shot them yet. can these be knurled? they are brass i think. if so should i or try them first?

i just picked up some of the bullets from ssk 265 grn cf. they load nice but havent shot them yet. can these be knurled? they are brass i think. if so should i or try them first?

I am wondering why you might want to knurled the bullet? They are a hardened brass bullet.

I have shot maybe 40 of these in my Knight 50's using the supplied Harvester Crush Rib sabot. They shoot very well. I will use them in the current hunting season.

Be using 3 different ones 52 cal 325 hornady ftx MK85 300 gr hornady xtp in green sabot lyman 54 cal deer stalker 300 Lee real bullet

Sabotloader, I recently bought a new disc extreme in .52 and they sent me a free box of bullets from ssk. They look similar to those u have a picture of but the base I don't think looks like that. They are also .458. Good looking bullet! Darin

Full bore conical, as required by the Idaho Fish and Game. I hated using them, as long as I was sticking to what I could find off-the-shelf, locally. The accuracy just sucked. Once I broke down and ordered some No Excuse, sized to my barrel, I didn't mind so much anymore.

Sabotloader, I recently bought a new disc extreme in .52 and they sent me a free box of bullets from ssk. They look similar to those u have a picture of but the base I don't think looks like that. They are also .458. Good looking bullet! Darin
There are two versions of the SSK .458 sabotless bullet. The first attempt they created a .458x265 bullet but the programming of the lathe was slightly off and created a powder cup that did not expand as needed. The second attempt a .458x260CF does have the correct base and shoots very well. I have to resize them a bit to fit my 45's, down to .4515. Since both bullets have that post in the middle of the powder cup they can be shot in a 50 cal. sabot from a 50 caliber ML. The second attempt shoots great sabotless from my Knigh 45's after resizing.

These pics show the difference in the bases... The first rum 265's on the left and the new 260 on the right. Both bullets are Brass.

Not sure the new 260's are posted on the SSK web sites.

.458x265CF Sabotless.JPGMongrel .458x260.jpg

I use a Bestill converted CVA Apex 45-70 that shoots smokeless powder with Pittman AcuMaxx 275 gr bullets. Muzzle loader is dialed in to shoot to 400 yards.

I’ve only been using a modern inline for a couple years. I’ve been using the 290 grain Bore Buster by Hornady or the Barnes 290 TEZ saboted bullet. They are the most accurate in my accura out of the bullets I’ve tried. 70 grains by weight seems to be the sweet spot. For years I used my TC Hawken 50 cal with a green mountain barrel to hunt with. I’ve harvested around 25 deer and 4 Elk with this gun. It shot 405 grain hollow point power belts with 90-100 grains of pyrodex IMG_6849.jpegby volume very accurately. Before those I used a 320 grain real bullet that I cast for several years. The real bullet shot well but did not expand well. Those big PB seemed very effective on big game.
Attached is a couple 320 grain real bullets and a couple 405 grain PB hollow point that I recovered from deer.

Back