Poll - Which Powder for Hunting and Why?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which powder are you using for hunting?

• Black powder

• Pyrodex

• Triple Seven

• Blackhorn 209

• Something Else

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’ve only shot pellets and BH209 so my comparison lacks depth, but the BH is clean, offers consistent accuracy and the distance I’ve had to track deer is probably under 10 yards.

Black powder for most applications, the fouling issue is exaggerated for civilian sporting use. Hunting out to 300yd isn't really an issue. If you can't get within a quarter mile of something... well, lol. It's cheap (if you make it) and it's easy to clean. Because all powders require Hazmat now, the price difference between BP and "subs" isn't really all that much. Due to the pressure impulse, it's also the ideal powder for bore-sized projectiles in a rifle (whacks 'em in the butt and makes 'em fill the grooves quick).

If I'm not going to go simple with BP, I'm not paying for "subs" that cost the same per pound or more than standard smokeless (and you use notably more per shot than with most smokeless powders = $$), yet are not nearly as capable as standard smokeless (for the weight), and still foul nearly as much as BP (except BH209, which is like a "dirty" smokeless). Then there is the cleaning issue, with all of the BP "subs", you need to clean them after shooting; but modern primers and smokeless, you can shoot all year and not clean it once with no issue. Less charge weight for the same velocity= less recoil.

Want something more like BP (for less$$$), use Red Dot through Herco; want something a little more like BH209, use H4198 through Reloader 15. Then there are even slower powders for FPS and big bullets with big animals (grizz, Buff, Elephant, Rhino, Hippo, ect). That being said, every land animal on Earth has been taken with BP guns... so you really don't need super-duper FPS.

As you can see, I don't understand the draw to the "subs".

* : obviously in a Smokeless capable gun.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this poll ElDiablo. I'm a noob in the ML early learning phase and curious to hear what those with lots of experience use. I bought my first ML in the fall. Went with an entry level just to get a little experience before going too deep, 50 cal CVA Wolf. It took until a few weeks ago just to find 209 primers. Shot it for the first time and immediately decided I needed better sights. Being in CO can't hunt with a scope or pelletized powder. I just received a Williams front and rear sight and waiting for the snow to stop falling to take it out and sight it in. While searching for primers I was able to get 2 cans of Swiss, still looking for BH. Thanks to all y'all for sharing your experience and recommendation.

Black powder because it is consistent and the most dependable in terms of ignition.

I use 777 exclusively with all my BP guns and either N120 or 4198 in my Savage ML II. I know many of you like Blackhorn but I have said before that I just find it "greasy", not to mention that I get just as good or better accuracy with 777, and that includes 777 pellets. I don't use black powder or pyrodex for two reasons- they are both dirtier and stink, in my opinion.

Pyrodex RS. Available, costs less, works well with the heavy cast bullets I use for hogs in my Knight 52 DEs and Bighorns. T7 and BH 209 are reserved for the Optima pistol's shorter barrel.

As all I have are inlines (Accura V2 Plains Rifle and a Paramount) my experience is limited to them. When I bought the former (my 1st) I tried Goex, RS, 777 powder and pellets and BH209. What I would use is 777 loose and BH209 and BH209 is what I do use exclusively. I get good velocity and accuracy with easy clean up and nearly no corrosiveness. It checks all the boxes for me.

I don't drive a Cadilac Escalade, and I don't shoot BH 209. Both are too expensive. Both are nice, but neither is necessary. I use 777 and swab between shots. It helps cool the barrel, and makes loading easy every shot. It also means my first shot in an unfouled barrel goes to the same place as my second shot. I tried BH 209, but it is almost never on the shelves here in NM. It is convenient to not swab between shots, but I didn't find cleanup any easier than 777, which cleans up with Dawn and hot water instead of Hoppe's. Here in NM, we can't hunt with smokeless. If we could, I certainly would.

As usual lots of good things here. My add: Blackhorn also has less smoke... Easier to spot target animals' response to the shot and observe thier departure
yes quite a bit less smoke! the other thing i have experienced is that bullets need to be snuggly seated against the powder for best ignition in cold weather. I like the CCI 209M primers tto set it off.

Back