Blackhorn 209 HELP !

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pop Pop

Reaction score
All,
I have a 50 cal Remmington UML.
1- I switched over to the Arrowhead breech plug ignition system.
2- I will be shooting FURY 320 gr. bullets.
3- I switched over to Blackhorn 209 Powder. (which took a few years to get. I just got some)
4- I need to know how much 209 powder by weight should I use.
5- What scale do you guys recommend.
6- Before all the changes above. I was using 100 grs (2 pellets) of Triple 7, and shooting the Remmington Sabots that came with the gun ( they look like Barnes)
7- ANY HELP WITH THIS ABOVE INFORMATION WOULD BE GREAT !!
Thanks
Joe

I know that with Blackhorn, 120 grains by volume is the recommended maximum charge. I'm sure that some of the other members will have better information.

I know that with Blackhorn, 120 grains by volume is the recommended maximum charge. I'm sure that some of the other members will have better information.
The RUM is totally different. Western has proof tested the RUM to 160grs volume.

112grs of BH should put him right in the ball park.

He needs to join the FB sites for UF, RUM and Customs.

The RUM is totally different. Western has proof tested the RUM to 160grs volume.

What does UF stand for ?

What does UF stand for ?
UF............. Ultimate Firearms Inc.

Remington purchased the rights to the ignition system from UF to make the Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader (RUM).

The Ultimate Firearms Inc., BP Xpress is the daddy of the Remington Ultimate.

Scale recommendation on the other post ;)

My load for my RUM is 110 gW of BH209 and the rem bullets, which weighs 250gr. The fury bullet is heavier so I would back down to 90 gW to start. The scale I use is a RCBS digital scale about 115 at Midway. There are several digital scales in the $30 range that would work fine.

My load for my RUM is 110 gW of BH209 and the rem bullets, which weighs 250gr. The fury bullet is heavier so I would back down to 90 gW to start. The scale I use is a RCBS digital scale about 115 at Midway. There are several digital scales in the $30 range that would work fine.
He'll be wasting propellant at 90grs WEIGHT to start with the 320gr Fury. That is unless he's trying to tame the rifle down a bit. That Fury loves anything from 106 to 112grsW

I bow to your experience I have never shot the Fury 320 g bullet.
:) Its hard to imagine how many I've sent prior to converting my UF. The FB sites is where one will learn a lot of information. I run one for conversions and Rick runs the RUM site.
Those things will shoot. :)

All you need is 105 grains of balckhorn 209 by weight and furry universal 50 cal. 320 grain and you are good to go.

Some like 104 some like 106 by weight and go.

Most of the rem. Uml's are a .503 barrel and Dennis at fury bullets is a flat out bada$$.

Scales are personalized thing.

I use rcbs chargemaster and a A&D 120i but I also do ELR rifle compositions like 2500 yards is the start.

:) Its hard to imagine how many I've sent prior to converting my UF. The FB sites is where one will learn a lot of information. I run one for conversions and Rick runs the RUM site.
Those things will shoot. :)
What does FB stand for. You say its a forum. I will start with 106 by weight. Anymore tips would be great. Thanks for your help.

you say that 112 gr will put me in ball park. How many yards are you talking? 100? or more?

Dam that great! I want to sight in at 100 yards. How many grs would be enough/recommended for that distance?

Wow Encore. I couldn’t shoot that well on my best day (even on a lucky day) with my centerfire. Good shooting!

You prob already said this, but do you use a recoil arrestor?

Back