powders for 10ML11

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamphunter

Reaction score
I live in Ontario Canada and have recently purchased a Savage 10ML11. I have tried to find AA XMP 5744 powder, as I have read much about it in the muzzleloading websites. It seems to be the most recommended powder. I have also tried to find Vihtavouri powders. No one that I have contacted can get these powders. I purchased IMR 4227 when I bought the muzzloader as it was the only "Savage recommended" powder available. No one on the internet seems to use it. Can someone please recomend a source for AA and/or Vihtavouri powders, or if not perhaps there are "better" powders that I can source here. IMR and Hodgdon seem to be widely available; I think I can also get Reloader. Any powder and bullet combinations would be greatly appreciated.

I like H322 79-80 gr, Barnes 300 gr original, MMP orange sabot, mv 2350-2400. :yeah:

swamphunter said:
I live in Ontario Canada and have recently purchased a Savage 10ML11. I have tried to find AA XMP 5744 powder, as I have read much about it in the muzzleloading websites. It seems to be the most recommended powder.

Western Powder Company ships regularly to Canada. Aside from being the makers of Accurate and Ramshot powders, they are master distributors for Alliant, Vihtavouri, Hodgdon, etc. They split cases, so any Canadian dealer that wants to can get all their powders from one place if they want to: "08/16/02 - Western Powders, Inc. is pleased to announce the "Grand Opening" of www.westernpowders.net. This site will allow registered dealers to obtain online pricing information as well as place smokeless and black powder orders with Western Powders, Inc. via the internet. The site is secure, easy to use and features all of the canister powders that Western Powders carries including: Ramshot, Alliant, Accurate, IMR, Hodgdon, Winchester, Vihta Vouri, Goex, KIK, Swiss and Elephant brand powders.

The main site is http://www.westernpowders.com/ .

SR4759 is made in Canada; you should have no problem getting a hold of some.

I'm also from Canada, and I feel your pain. I've jumped through some major hoops to get some 5744, but don't know how easy it will be the next time I want a pound.

I've just started testing Reloader 7 (seems to be readily available here) with some promising results(60-65 grs). Its really only good for 300+ grain bullets though and it kicks much more than AA5744.

If you want to use 250 grain, you'll probably want to stick to SR4759.

And, I do plan on testing h-322, since it seems Rifleman has had some really good success with it.

More questions from Canadian ML11 user

Thank you for your replies. I will give the information on Western Powders to the owner of the gun shop where I purchased my Savage. If he cannot/will not get it,I live fairly close to the New York State border crossing at Ogdensburg and Hwy 81 (Watertown), so I may be able to buy powder and bring it back. I will be hunting Whitetail in our new muzzleloader season which is in the first week of December. I have purchased both 250gr. and 300gr. Barnes Expanders as from what I have been reading on this site they seem to be well recomended. I also have five 250gr. XTP's which were include with the rifle. From what I have read, the rifle was designed for use with 300gr. projectiles. If anyone has a good source for MMP products that would be helpful also as no local retailers seem to carry them. The closest I have found is S.I.R. Mailorder which is in Manitoba, and they only offer the black sabot (not sure which one). Also are Mr. Wakemans products available to those of us in Canada? I would like to learn more about his vent liners, and would also purchase his powder vials if it were practical. Most of the shooting we do here is under 200yds. with the majority being around 100yds. If anyone would like to reply with some more loads for powders that are readily available here in Canada, that would be great. It has been a very hot humid summer here, so I have only fired the rifle a couple of times to try it out. Hopefully things will cool down soon so that I may begin developing some loads. I apologize if this posting seems to jump all over the place. So many questions so little time!

Re: More questions from Canadian ML11 user

swamphunter said:
Also are Mr. Wakemans products available to those of us in Canada? I would like to learn more about his vent liners, and would also purchase his powder vials if it were practical. Most of the shooting we do here is under 200yds. with the majority being around 100yds.

Yes.

Further, anyone in Canada who wants current formula MMP sabots can just order them from MMP and have them shipped to me.

When you get them from me, just pay the postage. I've done that for other folks on this forum.

I have used the 250 gr SST (and shockwave) with the supplied sabot and the short petal MMP sabot, 42 to 44 gr. of IMR 4759 powder to take a bunch of whitetails over the past 3 years at ranges from 20 feet to 165 Yds. I use the CCCI 209M Primer, but you can use whatever you can get/works in your gun. I like a hot primer, but the Fed209A's stick in my gun. The powder wt. varied because I was fine tuning the load and ran out of time before hunting season. The SST's and Shockwaves are the same bullet made by Hornady, just a different colored tip. I see that Cabelas has a "bonded" shockwave listed in their Master Fall Catalog now. I wonder if that is just advertising hype or if it's truly a bonded bullet. If so, it should work really well.

If you can get 250 or 300 grain Hornady XTP pistol bullets {.452} They have always shot well for me and are cheaper to use in working up loads for the savage. They are a very good bullet on whitetails also. The 300 grainers seem to group a little better and have plenty of energy at the longer ranges. IMR-4759, VVN-110, and AA 5744 are what I call classic powders in the savage. I would use what ever was easy to get and load between 40 and 45 grains of any of the above powders while working up a load. MMP sabots are generally very well liked for speed and accuracy. Your rifle will tell you what primer to use. Use the one that is easiest to remove from the bolt face. Sometimes one brand will stick and another will not. Generally savage shooters tend to use hot primers for positive ignition in cold weather. CCI 209M, Fed 209A, or Winchester Western are the most common used. You just have to let the rifle tell you what it likes and hunt with that combo.

Latest posts

Back