Powders for different bullet weights

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im newb in the sml rabbit hole. My question is, how do i determine which powders are appropriate to what weight range bullets, in a given caliber?
Ive not seen that info referred to in loading data. But i do hear things like …X powder works best with 275-325 grain bullets in X caliber… is there compiled info on powder to caliber to bullet weight? For instance, would aa2015 work well with a 340gr bullet in .45 cal? Or would it work better with a 250gr sabot bullet in a .50 cal? I guess im trying to determine how bullet weight affects the powders performance,(burn speed, pressure rise, temp stability…) or is everyone just doing trial and error testing on their own?

Im newb in the sml rabbit hole. My question is, how do i determine which powders are appropriate to what weight range bullets, in a given caliber?
Ive not seen that info referred to in loading data. But i do hear things like …X powder works best with 275-325 grain bullets in X caliber… is there compiled info on powder to caliber to bullet weight? For instance, would aa2015 work well with a 340gr bullet in .45 cal? Or would it work better with a 250gr sabot bullet in a .50 cal? I guess im trying to determine how bullet weight affects the powders performance,(burn speed, pressure rise, temp stability…) or is everyone just doing trial and error testing on their own?
Good questions bro. I'll be watching & learning with you here.

I'm going down a similar rabbit hole.

My own journey has brought me to Gordons Reloading Tool, which is free to download and use. I haven't got it figured out yet and there's a lot to learn.

Many people use QuickLoad, which is available for purchase. I have not used QuickLoad, but I may try it!

I'm going down a similar rabbit hole.

My own journey has brought me to Gordon's Reloading Tool, which is free to download and use. I haven't got it figured out yet and there's a lot to learn.

Many people use QuickLoad, which is available for purchase. I have not used QuickLoad, but I may try it!
i have both QL and GRT , very similar, but it looks like QL has a lot more data in it. hard to argue with the price of GRT tho.

Back