Powerbelt Platinums and TC Omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TREESTANDSNYPER1

Reaction score
What's up guys, I'm new here, and have a few questions about a bullet choice for my TC Omega. I've have 2 new pkgs of 270 grain PB Platinums, but lately I've been reading that powerbelts don't shoot all that well out of the TC's for some reason. Before I go waste my time and money shooting these up, what are your opinions on this bullet in my gun? Oh btw...I'm shooting 100 grains of Pyrodex pellets as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.

My Omega does under an inch 3 shot group @ 100 yards with the 295,348 and 405 powerbelt, All driven by 80 grains Pyrodex RS or Pyrodex P.

Its a QLA issue with the TC's. Some will shoot conicals like mine, others will not shoot them to save your life. Best way is to get out on the range and bring an assortment of primers with you as a simple primer can affect your group sizes badly!

I personally would ditch the pellets and go to loose so you can fine tune your load. The rifle might shoot best with 95 grains VS 100 grains, or even 105 grains. Also bring a notebook to take down the load info and how it shot.

Try the Powerbelt Target section of the forum to see my Omegas targets with Powerbelts.

Welcome to the forum!

I've never used anything but pellets, but I'll give the loose powder a try since it would be easier to work up a load that shoots tighter groups. I shot the older copper hollowpoint powerbelts(green base) last year with 100 grains of Pyrodex pellets...groups were pretty inconsistant. One of my buddies has the exact same set-up as mine and he is shooting the 270 grain Platinums great out of his. Oh, and I'm also using the Remington Kleenbore primers too. Saw your group on the section you mentioned with your Omega...damn good shooting...I'm going to give the loose powder a shot and stick with the Platinums and see if I can get mine shooting as good as yours.

Start them off on lower powder charges of 80 grains Pyrodex RS or Select. I find Pyrodex to be a lot more Consistant. Its dirtier but it does not leave the crud ring that T7 is famous for.

Kleanbore,Winchester 777 primers have offered the best for accuracy.

Another thing with TC, the Breech Plugs i hear are only good for 400 or so shots before accuracy starts to fall off. Could be something to look in to.

Have some Patience and you'll find a load for her.

Thanks for the advice...I will definately be trying all the things you've mentioned. I'll keep the breech plug in mind as well in the future..right now I've only got about 50 or so shots through it so it should be good for awhile. I've only been shooting muzzleloaders for about 4 years now, maily I'm a die hard bowhunter. Took my first deer with a bow and for many years hunted only with a bow. My dad got me started with a muzzleloader, he's shot them for as long as I can remember. My son likes guns more than bows so this gives me a chance to hunt/shoot with him more too.

Latest posts

Back