PRB - Ya'll finally convinced me!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So despite thinking that PRB's were not for me, after following the forums for the last many months, I found myself in Cabelas last night and picked up a box of .490 balls and some patches...Can't say that I intend to hunt with them, but they sure are a cheaper way to shoot. My question is this, given that PRB are about half the weight of the conical bullet I intend to hunt with, am I am likely to have to change my sights when I change my ammo or will the difference in POI at 50 yards or under be so minimal so as to not matter for killing a deer?

Range time will tell.
One of my vintage CVA rifles seems to hit the same spot with either a round ball or the Hornady PA conicals that I use.
I recommend using an over powder patch or wad with the round ball.
60 to 80 grains by volume of 2f or 3f powder, whichever you have on hand. Somewhere in between you'll find that sweet spot.

Unless Bambi has some of Chuck Norris genes, a "wimpy" PRB" and 70g 3f will put them in the freezer every time. Unless you stink at the shooting thing.... I know guys in the N-SSA who hunt with their "target" loads in their Smith's, Sharps, and muskets and when it comes to Bambi, those guys are professional stone cold killers. You don't need super dooper high power, you DO need to know how to shoot.

I killed about 2 deer a year with a PRB for 30 years. I used 100 grains or whatever powder was at the store because we didn't know better. Good advice above. Start with a light load and add a second patch between the powder and the ball. Dump your powder in, push a patch down, then push your PRB down, The extra patch protects the PRB.

1647478584076.png

The top patch was just the PRB.
The 2nd, 3rd, and 4rth had a second patch between the powder and PRB.

Hunting with a PRB is not a handicap.

My CVA Hawken likes a Hornady .490 RB with a .015 patch over 80g of 2F black powder. Never heard of using a double patch. I’ll have to look at my patches next time I shoot.

Part of the reason to join this forum is to learn. I didnt use a double patch for 30 years. By the advice here I tried it and the above pic is the result. Ill use a double patch from now on.

My CVA Hawken likes a Hornady .490 RB with a .015 patch over 80g of 2F black powder. Never heard of using a double patch. I’ll have to look at my patches next time I shoot.

I have a nondescript, battered, old CVA I call my 'sewerpipe on a stick' cuz the bore is so bad. Even so, with 70g 3f, 495 ball, .015 patch and a cork over powder wad, it'll put every shot into 1in at 50yd.

Part of the reason to join this forum is to learn. I didnt use a double patch for 30 years. By the advice here I tried it and the above pic is the result. Ill use a double patch from now on.
I use either a double patch, or a felt bore button over the powder and then the patched ball. I leave my gun loaded (without cap or prime) during the hunting season, and found that the extra patch/bore button helps to keep the powder from becoming contaminated with lube. I have seen no change in accuracy. I guess it is just for piece of mind in my case.

What is the advantage of the over the powder wad?
Never heard of a over the powder patch

I use a cork wad over the powder. Advantage? Well the idea is since my bore is so bad and the patch is dripping in lube, it keeps the powder from being contaminated by lube. Results don't lie. It works in my gun. You'll see examples of the "perfect patch" shot from a round ball gun, but mine has never, ever left a patch in that condition. They're usually shredded to some extent but again, with the cord wad and tight patch, my sewerpipe will shoot right up there with some folks brand new guns.

What is the advantage of the over the powder wad?
Never heard of a over the powder patch
I was having trouble with my groups in one of my rifles. I happened to watch one of Idaho Lewis videos, shooting a patched round with his double patch method. He shot some excellent groups.
I figured I'd try it myself and what a difference it makes.
I guess it helps the ball patch from getting burnt or shredded. My patches are so clean that I could reuse them.
Much improved accuracy for me.

.490-.015-80gr-2f is my best load as well in my Lyman GPR.
I assume the second patch goes down dry?
Any effect on fouling?

I just use a second lubed patch. But per advice here I will try a piece of cardboard or similar to protect the powder from contamination.

As long as your lubed patches aren't dripping wet, you'll be alright.
Some shooters use 5 or 10 grains of corn meal as a filler between powder and patched ball.

Any affect in lessoning fouling with using the second moist patch?
Im new to the second patch approach. After seeing those in the pic above it looks like it helps to maintain the integrety of the patch around the ball. I cant really say for sure it helps or hinders fouling. So hopefully someone will chime in.

Back