Pyrodex Corrosion?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
I know how corrosive Pyro is when fired, but how is it unfired?

This is the reason I ask. My busted back won't let me shoot a gun for 1-2 months. I just got some Hornady GP 425gr bullets for the .54 New Englander. I'm dying to see how they load, but i'll have to load some powder so I can shoot out the bullet when I can. I never left Pyro loaded in a gun before, and I don't want to do any damage.

Whatcha think?

Unfired, it is not corrosive. Its the ignition process that starts the chemical reaction. But in your circumstances.. I would just leave the rifle unloaded. Then at least you can handle the rifle from time to time and now worry that there is a load in it. There will be time for shooting in the future.

I agree, but I can use the time to find another bullet if this one doesn't fit the way I want it to.

I live alone, so nobody will mess with the gun.

I noticed it would tarnish my powerbelts in a few days, but never had any serious corrosion with unfired powder. I also never experienced any unusual corrosion with Pyrodex vs blackpowder. Both about the same as far as i can tell.

Muley Hunter said:
I hope so, because I loaded the bullet.

I'm weak, and couldn't wait. :(

Put a muzzle mitt on the barrel and plug on the nipple +'s no air to the barrel...

Do not really think you need to worryabout it though... room temp will keep it dry...

Humidity here is like 15%.

I have to stuff my nose everyday with Vaseline to keep it from drying up.

Load it with about ten grains of powder and shoot it into the ground in the back yard. It will be no louder than a hammer blow on a board. Or shoot it into a pile or rags/paper/etc. and see the engraving on the bullet.

It has 60gr in it now. If I could shoot it at all I wouldn't have made this thread.

I'm still hobbling around with this back like i'm 100 years old. No way to shoot a gun yet.

Besides, I live in an apartment building. I'd get arrested. :shock:

That Pyrodex will be just fine in your gun. . ..

the PRB will keep it dry, because it is sealing the barrel. . same with a sabot or conical.

If it is a flintlock, just put a feather stem in the hold, and that will keep moisture out.

If it is a percussion. . .just put a used cap on, and you will be ok.

Okay so if you were going to do it why ask? :lol: You don't have a "Golden Rod" in your safe? I think that the Pyrodex subs are pretty tame unfired, though they will draw moisture over time.

So which vertebra did you break? I crushed T-12 about two years ago come March. I know what you're saying about not being able to shoot anything. Trust me even with morphine I thought I was gonna die when I tried to sit on the porch with the .257 Roberts A.I. to pop squirrels. I got one shot, wow what a mistake. That was the middle of recovery week three. :d'oh!:

They never told me which two vertebra, and I never thought to ask. Both in the lower back.

I loaded the gun after cayuga's post. :?

If i were in in your shoes, I would seriously consider switching to .22 semi-auto for a short while. You can keep your marksmenship skills tuned up while not having to worry about loading, recoil, or cleaning. We all started with a 22, and I still love shooting them to this day. Healing takes a while. Why not give yourself a break and still have some fun?

Not a bad idea, but when I get to the point that I can drive my Jeep to the range. I can probably shoot ok.

We'll see how it goes. I've peaked, and i'm starting to heal now. I can put my socks on now without breaking out in a sweat. :D

It was loose over the powder. Which is probably why is wasn't that accurate.

I think i'll just shoot PRB's in it.

Back