Quality of T/C and CVA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have owned a Knight Disc estreme since 2003 and of all the guns I have shot or looked at it is the best. Shoots very well, and feels like a trusted friend. You can buy others, but you can't do better than a Knight.

rat trapper said:
I have owned a Knight Disc estreme since 2003 and of all the guns I have shot or looked at it is the best. Shoots very well, and feels like a trusted friend. You can buy others, but you can't do better than a Knight.

Just prior to my Knight purchase in December, Cabelas had the T/C Impact on sale for around $209.

I was shocked / in disbelief, on how well that inexpensive ML shouldered and how easy it was to fiber-optic, line-up a target inside the store. That thing was almost perfectly balanced, then came to read that everyone shooting it, is a happy camper.

Personally, I would purchase any fast production ML, other than a Traditions inline. CVAs of today are fine and it has shut-up Randy Wakeman these days big-time.

I have always preferred TC but I respect the fact that in the last 10 years the quality of CVA has risen to the same level in since SW took over it may surpasses get the one that fits when you shoulder it as far as Knight is concerned I had a couple the quality was good but wasting space that could have been a longer more efficient barrel bothered me and I thought they were kind of heavy.

Thanks guy for the replies. I think I have in narrowed to the LHR or the Knight. LHR has a local dealer that I am going to go check out. Knight does not list and dealers in NJ. I am going to the Great American Outdoor Show next Wed. and hope I can find some Knights to look at and shoulder.

Thanks Again

Steve-in-Atco

Steve, keep in mind that unless you absolutely want a new gun....many that are NOS or used but literally like new can be had at half the price (or less). Now some of the newer models like the LHR, or Knight ULite.... you probably aren't gonna find them used very often. I agree, shoulder them and see what you like....you are the one who will be using it. If I was buying new, I'd be all over the ULite. :D

I shoot the CVA's Accura and my son shoots the Optima, and they both shoot very nicely (comment made from my novice level of experience, but then again you're a novice, so maybe a novice perspective has some worth to you, idk).

What I do know is after unwrapping our rifles on Christmas morning, I'm a lefty and when I went to switch over the thumb cock spur, it screwed out just using my fingers (no tool required) and when going to screw it in on the left side, 1/2 way in it broke off. Ok, those things happen, no big deal, and I knew I could not shoot my rifle for 5 weeks anyways (due to state regulations on duck hunting). I sent them just the stock with the broken spur. So, why did it take CVA 7 weeks to repair a broken thumb spur? With a tap that should be a 5 minute job! Replacing the cocking lever (the second way it could be fixed) is also a 5 minute job! Not seven weeks! Some might say, well they have other repairs on other rifles they have to do and yours is in the line, my answer is 5minute job that takes 7 weeks, no! Perhaps they should have a repair for the minor easy with the "new guy" or apprentice doing those jobs, and a fully certified gunsmith doing the major repairs.

All I'm saying is that 7weeks for a 5 minute job is UNSAT, no matter how you cut it.

When I got the rifle back, it shoots great, and I really enjoy it!

I am relatively new on this board, but no youngster to hunting and shooting been doing that for over 50 years. I borrowed a muzzle loader to hunt in VA this past fall and got the bug to have my own gun. I researched this quite a bit online and by word of mouth and decided on a new CVA Accura Nitride MR. I gotta tell you that I have been impressed with the gun and everything about it . Last time out with Blackhorn (and BH breech plug for the Accura) I shot both 300gr PowerBelts and Hornandy FPB 350gr bullets. They both shot excellent groups with most of the bullets touching holes already in the target. I am still experimenting with the right powder charges but the gun is impressive. If you haven't see the video of Russel Lynch submerging a new CVA Accura under water in his swimming pool while he talks on camera, then empties the water from the barrel and then shoots the gun - it's pretty impressive.

atjurhs said:
I shoot the CVA's Accura and my son shoots the Optima, and they both shoot very nicely (comment made from my novice level of experience, but then again you're a novice, so maybe a novice perspective has some worth to you, idk).

What I do know is after unwrapping our rifles on Christmas morning, I'm a lefty and when I went to switch over the thumb cock spur, it screwed out just using my fingers (no tool required) and when going to screw it in on the left side, 1/2 way in it broke off. Ok, those things happen, no big deal, and I knew I could not shoot my rifle for 5 weeks anyways (due to state regulations on duck hunting). I sent them just the stock with the broken spur. So, why did it take CVA 7 weeks to repair a broken thumb spur? With a tap that should be a 5 minute job! Replacing the cocking lever (the second way it could be fixed) is also a 5 minute job! Not seven weeks! Some might say, well they have other repairs on other rifles they have to do and yours is in the line, my answer is 5minute job that takes 7 weeks, no! Perhaps they should have a repair for the minor easy with the "new guy" or apprentice doing those jobs, and a fully certified gunsmith doing the major repairs.

All I'm saying is that 7weeks for a 5 minute job is UNSAT, no matter how you cut it.

I too am a lefty, and I have an Accura. I tried to switch over the thumb spur, but to no avail. It must be loctited in, as I cannot get it to move! i'll get it eventually. How in the heck did it break off 1/2 way in the hammer? CVA has been pretty good for me in customer service, I ordered a BH209 plug and NW firing pin kit. They sent it out shortly there after. The gun shots straight and is very comfortable. No problems with the camo and the nitride barrel is awesome.

atjurhs said:

try 15 weeks or so for them to check out the breech plug on my cva. I had to send in the whole gun

WHITEBULL1 said:
atjurhs said:

I too am a lefty, and I have an Accura. I tried to switch over the thumb spur, but to no avail. It must be loctited in, as I cannot get it to move! i'll get it eventually. How in the heck did it break off 1/2 way in the hammer? CVA has been pretty good for me in customer service, I ordered a BH209 plug and NW firing pin kit. They sent it out shortly there after. The gun shots straight and is very comfortable. No problems with the camo and the nitride barrel is awesome.

Just in case you don't know, the hammer spur has left hand threads.

So it is the OPPOSITE of, "righty tighty, lefty loosey".

ahhhh, it wouldn't have gone in half-way being cross threaded, heck it wouldn't have even made the first two or three threads

Just in case you don't know, the hammer spur has left hand threads.

So it is the OPPOSITE of, "righty tighty, lefty loosey".

Thanks for the info. I torqued it down so tight that It was brutal removing it! Oh well, Live and learn........

atjurhs said:
ahhhh, it wouldn't have gone in half-way being cross threaded, heck it wouldn't have even made the first two or three threads

If it broke off that easy. It was damaged when it was removed from the other side. The broken piece should have been easy to remove. Not sure why you didn't fix it?

I'm a long time Knight fan and own 3 of them, all converted to bare primer breech plugs, with proper load all 3 will shoot sub MOA 3 shot groups. Top quality, American made and reliable. I was experiencing some blow back and primer sticking. I recently changed from Federal 209 A primers to Winchester's regular 209 primers(Not the muzzle loader version) which are slightly longer than the Federals and the CCI 209 M and that eliminated the issue.
I recently purchased a LHR Redemption and for the money it's top quality, shoots well is a snap to clean. Be sure and order the optional loose powder breech plug if you don"t shoot pellets.

pooldoc said:
I'm a long time Knight fan and own 3 of them, all converted to bare primer breech plugs, with proper load all 3 will shoot sub MOA 3 shot groups. Top quality, American made and reliable. I was experiencing some blow back and primer sticking. I recently changed from Federal 209 A primers to Winchester's regular 209 primers(Not the muzzle loader version) which are slightly longer than the Federals and the CCI 209 M and that eliminated the issue.
I recently purchased a LHR Redemption and for the money it's top quality, shoots well is a snap to clean. Be sure and order the optional loose powder breech plug if you don"t shoot pellets.

Since you do not mention being a Blackhorn 209 user, had you discovered the weakened Winchester 209 primers using the red primer discs by Knight, would you have switched to the bare breechplug?

If your answer is Yes, then why?

TripleSe7en said:
pooldoc said:

Since you do not mention being a Blackhorn 209 user, had you discovered the weakened Winchester 209 primers using the red primer discs by Knight, would you have switched to the bare breechplug?

If your answer is Yes, then why?

If you are talking about W-209 Primers by Winchester? They are not weak. They are right behind the Fed 209A and CCI 209M. I have seen you mention this before, but figured it must have been a typo, now not so sure. Might be bad information? I have tested Blackhorn 209 with over a dozen different primers. Winchester W-209 would be #3 or #4 on the hottest list.

Re: Quality of T/C and CVA

Unread postby pooldoc » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:02 pm
I recently purchased a LHR Redemption and for the money it's top quality, shoots well is a snap to clean. Be sure and order the optiona
Isn't this thread about T/C, and CVA ?

Back