Question for Cayuga

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweesdad

Reaction score
Dave,
Will you be kind enough to tell me what thickness patch you use in your .58 Green Mountain barrel? I am using a .570 ball.
I am sitting here looking at a selection of patches running from .010 through .024. Not being able to afford to waste powder and ball, I would appreciate it if you can give me some help. After all, you be "Da Man".
Thanks
Jay

:D

I agree 100% :!: :!: :!: He knows his black powder rifles. :prayer: He helped me a lot when I started shooting a .54 flinter :!: :!: :!:

Ray............ :wink:

Your Green Mountain Barrel can actually shoot .575 or .570 ball. The .575 are tight but you can load them still. I think I purchased a .575 mold but better look. Next time I cast I can make a few extra. I shoot the Speer .570 ball and use 100% cotton pillow tick, blue or red stripe. It measures .018 thickness. I go to Wal Mart in the fabric department and get a yard of it. Its under $4.00 and you have patches for years. Wash that in your washing machine, but don't put it in the dryer. Just hang it somewhere after the spin cycle and let it air dry. This removes the sizing from it. Now count off five stripes and and tear it with your hands.

You can cut the patch at the muzzle or cut squares. Either work.I also spritz with moose milk. The reason I do not like pre lubed patches is if you don't use them within say two years, they can start to deteriorate. They get weak and will blow out when you shot. But if you use pillow tick, you lube them as you need them.

Dave
Thank you sir. Already have the .18 pillow tick from Wally World. Washed, dried, ready to go. Also use the .570 balls.
Have been pre-lubing with Bore Butter for my .50, and have had pretty good results so far. Will probably try the same in the .58.
Have your recipe for Moose milk, but am simply too lazy to make some up, as long as I have a full tube of bore butter.
Thank you for the info.
If you recall, I usually shoot heavy conicals. However, have developed a shoulder problem, so shooting my usual heavy conical loads is out of the question until situation is resolved. May have to cancel planned Alaska Moose hunt, due to fact that recoil with the conicals is problematical. Not too happy to be in Brown Bear country with a PRB load. Hate it when the guide has to finish the job I started. Of course, I can always shoot him in the knee, and run for the boat. (Old Joke)
Thanks again

Well my Green Mountain .58 caliber has a 1-70 twist and is a roundball magic shooter. 110 grains of Goex and a patched ball and that thing will really shoot. Although I have shot 90 grains and the same patched ball and still excellent accuracy. Good luck with your rifle and keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back