QUESTION ON OVER THE POWDER WADS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lefteye

Reaction score
When loading a Maxi-ball, is it necesary or beneficial to use an over the powder wad?
I was going to try it with 80 grains of 2f swiss. Any suggestions?

Have a .50 Renegade that likes a overpowder wad and a .58 Big Boar that hates them. Try it and find out.

I tried 80 grains of Swiss 2F with an over the powder wad and a 370 grain maxi-ball in my RMC Accusporter. At 50 yards off the bench the group was in inside the 10 ring. Pennsylvania's flintlock season opens next week. Let's hope I get a chance to test this load.

excess650 said:
Your rifle will tell you what it prefers.

This.

But as a general rule the rule is YES most ML's respond better to a over the powder wad when using Maxi Ball. Lubed wads "tend" to shoot better than non lubed wabs.

Trial and error are the keys.

My friend uses a New Englander with 70 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 370 grain maxiball. He loves to tell about the buck he shot at 70 yards, and how after he shot, there was a blood spray circle in the snow the size of a beer cooler (and he would know about beer coolers). He said the beer made five steps and folded. I am sure you will have a great load, should the deer give you the opportunity.

cayuga said:
My friend uses a New Englander with 70 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 370 grain maxiball. He loves to tell about the buck he shot at 70 yards, and how after he shot, there was a blood spray circle in the snow the size of a beer cooler (and he would know about beer coolers). He said the beer made five steps and folded. I am sure you will have a great load, should the deer give you the opportunity.

I can usually make it more than 5 steps after a "beer" But after 12 "beers" its a whole different ball game. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I find over powder wads are usually not needed. If they are it is to cover up something else that is wrong. I started to use them, myself however, just because it seemed like the thing to do.
I suppose it is another layer between the lube and the powder and if you leave the gun loaded for long periods of time, they may be of some benefit. But in real world, I doubt that is even correct.
What I am getting at is, just because is not a good reason. I have stopped using them and nothing has changed.

Back