Rain protection while hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Our deer season begins on Saturday here in SE Minnesota and of course the forecast is calling for wet weather....rain primarily. When I see rain or snow in the forecast I dig into my day pack and pull out package of finger-cots, I call them barrel condoms, and roll one over the muzzle after setting the bullet and before priming. Then I dig out a small jar of soft bee's wax that I carry and apply a very thin swipe of it across the face of the primer when its been put in the breech. When applying the wax I make sure to rub it around so it gets slightly under the rim of the primer and will seal along the plug's face where it butts up to it. When the breech is closed one would never know it there. When and if the gun is fired the wax is gone.

I've done this for years with my in-lines and never had a moisture issue cause a hang or dud fire with any powder or pellet. If I am dumb enough to sit out in a heavy rain I will cover the breech/barrel merger with a piece of plastic torn from a zip-lock to shed water and prevent it from entering there. It falls away when the gun is raised to shoot and cock.

My scopes have flip-up covers that work smoothly and quietly. I can't stand anything on a lens so I carry a zip lock in my bag with soft lens tissues to make certain things are clear and sharp when need.

What are some of the protection others of you use when the weather is less than friendly?

One of the advantages of high mountain hunting is the weather. Storms blow past pretty fast. As a still hunter i'm always moving. When a storm shows up i'll just sit it out. Usually, in 15min it will be gone and i'll continue hunting.

Snow is different and lasts longer. So, i'll hunt when it's snowing. I use a piece of Saran Wrap over the muzzle held on with a rubber band. I don't worry about the primer. The same thing with a sidelock but i'll also use a cows knee over the lock.

When the weather is rotten I sit in a box stand, so rain is not a problem. I bag the gun for the walk to and from the stand.

45666528921_84117cddda_b.jpg

I like that umbrella bag idea!

Well Tom we are going to get soaked this weekend. I keep checking the forecast every couple hours hoping for a change but no luck so far. I've hunted with my Omega in the rain a handful of times with no issues. This will be the Mountaineers first hunt in the rain. Its also my daughters first time hunting where she gets to shoot. Hope her LittleHorn can take it. All I did with the Omega was some electrical tape over the barrel and called it good.

We're looking at rain down here Mossy. Snow more north. I took stuff down to the hunting grounds this morning to drop off and saw deer everywhere including one old buck limping along with a long gash in his face. Hard telling what that was about. Looked to be a strong 10, maybe 11. Sure a sad sight. The corn is still stand in 52 acres immediately off my stand. I hope it stays put thru the season.

Have good luck up the Mossy and stay safe.

Her Littlehorn will be fine. My most hunted with gun in the past was a Knight Wolverine. It was set up for 209 ignition. I hunted many times in the rain with no issues. Once killed a nice buck at a pear tree. It had been downpouring for hours when I shot it and had no issues. Most I ever did was put some tape over the barrel.

Small Balloon over the muzzle. Never had an issue even in full down pours.

Back