Reloading setup? Please recommend.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to get a reloading setup. I want to load rifle cartridges. I don't need a production line, maybe reload 20 or thirty at a time. Cartridge is 3.7inch long. 9.3mm or .366 caliber. Not top line or bottom. Just good! I have nothing but some dies. Maybe a nice kit.

I'll tell you a little secret. Buy a quality kit and don't look back. I got a Pacific Deluxe reloading set for Christmas when I was 13 years old - I'm soon to be 71 - and I still use it. I don't even know if they're still in business.
The RCBS Rock chucker is a good press as is their 505 scale and their powder thrower. You also should get a powder trickler and reloading funnel. This all comes in kit form. It can be difficult to find everything you need used - the press is the most expensive.

I see this at Midway for I think $180.00 I think with care (like all reloading should be) this press would work for you.

Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit​

Ive never used a handheld press so I cant say much about that. I hope someone will chime in who has experience with them. I have a Lee turret from 100 years ago. Again like Bronco says, it will be here long after I am not. Hoping my grandchildren will make use of it and with care my great grandchildren.

I'd spend my money on the dies and powder handling equipment. Pressed are just that, something to press bullets and cases with. Get quality dies and get quality powder handling equipment. There'll be other stuff that you'll want to pick up including a decent dial micrometer.

The Lee Precision presses are just OK. I'm not a fan of the breech lock system. I do have one of their inexpensive presses with the breech lock system for sizing lead conical bullets after pan lubing them. The higher end kits in their lineup may be suitable for your needs. But if I had the money I'd go with RCBS and later buy a case trimmer. You'll likely be spending close to $1000 for the kit but you may be able to locate some stuff on ebay, auction sites or yard sales.
I reload for a whole bunch of rifle and pistol cartridges so I want something that will hold up. I always liked a single stage press and reload as a hobby and pass time. I don't need to mass produce ammo. I can load a box of 50 handgun rounds in under an hour. Twenty rifle cartridges in about the same time because I weigh each charge.

I’m a big fan of RCBS equipment. A lot of companies could learn a lot from their CS. I called them to order some decapping pins because I couldn’t find any local. They asked if I had the old style pins or new style, I didn’t know. So they sent me 10 of each at no charge. I spoke to a fellow in customer service last year about a problem I had with a bullet puller. He knew his stuff and helped sovlve my problem. We talked for a bit and he told me how long he has worked at RCBS. I didn’t know they had been around that long but he started there the year I was born, I’m 65 so they must treat their employees good too.

I have a plain single RCBS for sizing bullets, and a Lee 4 hole turret press for reloading. I love the turrets. Set up a turret once and done. I always double check when i put a turret back in but so far they stay where i set them. Its so nice to be able to pop in a different turret when i change from one caliber to another.

'If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, where will you get the money or time to do it over?'

This RCBS kit has everything included except your specific dies.

https://www.rcbs.com/rcbs-kits/rock-chucker-supreme-master-reloading-kit/16-9366.html
I realize there are complete kits and will decide on one, but I need I am looking for specific dies. I want to reload these ammo 9.3x74R for instance. Midway USA has these:
Crimping https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016833587?pid=495877
Shell holder https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011098074?pid=690054
2 Dies https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011278027?pid=447591
What else do I need for this specific caliber besides:
Primers
Powder
Bullets - mostly target
I also realize that some of the above dies can fit other calibers. The shell holder above can fit my 9.3x74R as well as my 7x65R

The shell holders can cover more than one cartridge. But the dies not. They are cartridge specific.

The RCBS die set will crimp as well. No need for the crimp die. You need to make sure all your cases are trimmed to the same length for it to work properly. So you will need a trimmer and reamer.
https://www.midwayusa.com/reloading-supplies/c?cid=9315 or similar
https://www.midwayusa.com/reloading-supplies/c?cid=9315 or similar

sorry, more money

To minimize case stretching use mild loads and neck size. Then after 5-10 shots through the same case you will need to heat treat the necks.
Dont let this intimidate you, just one thing at a time

Much to learn grasshopper. But you will be glad you did. You will get a lot of help here.
Be patient and watch for a few auctions and sales.

I'm another RCBS fan, bought the kit and never looked back. It is a good investment that I have loaded thousands of rounds through and can wholeheartedly recommend. I have upgraded several pieces over the years, and now use a Forster Co Ax press. If you know you're going to reload a lot, you may want to buy individual pieces, though a kit would be cheaper. Electronic powder measure, 5 station case prep station, electric case trimmer, etc, are really nice to have.

Nice to see you like the 9,3 I don't see many folks who use that caliber. I have a couple of 9,3x62 and they are a great caliber!! Good luck on your reloading decision, you'll enjoy reloading I'm sure.

The shell holders can cover more than one cartridge. But the dies not. They are cartridge specific.

The RCBS die set will crimp as well. No need for the crimp die. You need to make sure all your cases are trimmed to the same length for it to work properly. So you will need a trimmer and reamer.
Thanks, Trimmer and reamer. Will do.

A Forster Coaxial press is light years ahead of all the others….especially for creating precision concentric ammo with minimal bullet run-out…(Wilson benchrest system aside)
Any and all the presses work fine….but your best chance of producing the highest quality ammunition is Forster…customer service is also top tier..

I have a Hornady setup. Been using it for 20 years. I have been pleased with it, loading everything from 9mm to .270. My favorite is is the .45 Colt. Best of luck. Whatever you buy, get a good reloading manual and follow the instructions.

I want to get a reloading setup. I want to load rifle cartridges. I don't need a production line, maybe reload 20 or thirty at a time. Cartridge is 3.7inch long. 9.3mm or .366 caliber. Not top line or bottom. Just good! I have nothing but some dies. Maybe a nice kit.
How I got started a guy at work was getting out of it. He loaded for his dad, brother, and himself. I bought everything he had. I could have went straight home and started loading. I did add an auto powder dispenser. (Lyman 1200 DPS). I got an older RCBS press. I use Redding dies. Basically I have mostly RCBS, Redding, Lyman stuff. It didn't take long for me to get it to fit my needs.

You need

A press - any decent single stage. Personally I'd spend the bit extra to not get Lee.
Calipers - any digital caliper off Amazon, they are all the same and you won't pay $30 'cause it has Lyman or something on the case.
Scale - buy once cry once and get a proper beam scale. Or if you must be cheap, get TWO digital scales and compare them against each other and check your loads on both.
Some method of priming - I like a hand primer, have both the RCBS and Lyman units, both are equal but I like the Lyman just a bit better (but I have small hands...)
Other assorted things like a tray to hold your cases as you load them, primer pocket tool, etc
Case lube of some type (I use One Shot, some folk hate it with a passion 'cause they couldn't follow directions)
Eventually some way of cleaning cases
Eventually some way of trimming cases

Caliber specific stuff -
Dies (I like Hornady)
Shell holder(s) (I use a couple per caliber - one on press, one on priming tool. each shell holder will be usable with several calibers)

Then of course, bullets primers and powder. But before buying those, you need to read some reloading manuals for load data to find out what bullets and powder to get... I use electronic resources, I really like the manufactures load data listings at https://shootersreference.com/ - it is filterable by bullet weight and/or powder...

I swear by RCBS, it’s well made and has a lifetime warranty. I bought a Jr Press complete kit back in the late 70s and it’s going strong as ever. After 45 years of use and thousands of rounds made, one wave washer in the ram and the primer feed arm cracked. I contacted them and replacement parts were sent within a week, FREE!!
I reload multiple pistol and rifle calibers. I highly recommend to get carbide sizing dies if the budget allows it. These will make things a lot easier eliminating the need to lube cases and cleaning after sizing.
No need to go crazy and get a ton of stuff right off the bat. Go slow and build up your reloading equipment and you will be saving tons of cash reloading for pennies instead of dollars per round. Even at CMP prices 30-06 is running with shipping about $1.20 ish a round. I can load mine for well half that price or even less. Be patient and wait for special sales with big discounts and free shipping, believe me they pop up now and then.
My garage set up is simple. I built the bench and rolling cart from scrap lumber. Both perform double duty in reloading and home repairs. The powder dispenser is held by my custom made scrap metal bracket held by a heavy duty vise, making it easy to remove when the vise is needed for other work. The Jr Press is bolted to the rolling cart thru the 2 by frame. A Frankfort Arsenal case prep machine is at the deep end of the cart. I got that on sale from Midway for $99 with free shipping making it quite a deal👌. I highly recommend to get one of these that makes case prep a snap. It cleans primer pockets, chamfers and deburrs brass, remove military primer crimp. I also have a Frankfort Arsenal case tumbler sitting at the bottom cart shelf. Very important to get one of these along with cleaning media that will clean and polish your brass.
You will also need a case trimmer for bottle neck brass. I modified mine to be chucked into a cordless drill to make the trimming faster.
The black metal cabinet came from Goodwill and was $50. It looks brand new and is made of thick heavy duty steel. Inside I keep all my brass, dies, media/brass separator, loading manuals, and other reloading equipment.
Hope this helps as a guide to a very enjoyable and relaxing $ saving hobby.😉

IMG_8415.jpegIMG_8416.jpeg

Last edited:
Back