REM 700 ml(not the uml) pitted barrel, possible upgrades

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windfall

Reaction score
So. I am not new to muzzleloading, but not very educated. That being said, I was recently given a rem 700 50 cal ml, not the ultimate. The gun was very dirty, and after a lot of work got it cleaned up, but noticed some pitting in the barrel just past the breach plug on the left side. I’m am wondering if it is still safe to shoot, and if not, can I get a replacement barrel that won’t break the bank? Do they make a 45 cal barrel? Looking for any input.

Pitting alone shouldn’t affect the safety of the rifle. The pitting will make it more difficult to clean though. If it were me, I’d see how it shoots. Yes, replacement barrels can be purchased.

I don’t think there are any off-the-shelf options. But you could have one made by McGowen or a custom builder (depends on your definition of “break the bank.”)

Someone else may know more.

So. I am not new to muzzleloading, but not very educated. That being said, I was recently given a rem 700 50 cal ml, not the ultimate. The gun was very dirty, and after a lot of work got it cleaned up, but noticed some pitting in the barrel just past the breach plug on the left side. I’m am wondering if it is still safe to shoot, and if not, can I get a replacement barrel that won’t break the bank? Do they make a 45 cal barrel? Looking for any input.
Contact Gary Bush.

Back