Swapping Rem. 700 ML barrels

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronald horne

Reaction score
When changing one Rem. 700 ML barrel for another and the factory sights do not align properly ( the timing is late, they go too far past vertical) what is the best way to correct this? Anyone had experience with this?

Interesting....something I never thought about when putting on my smokeless barrel, it has nothing drilled in the barrel.

How bout taking some material off the barrel shoulder or the action?

I know that a barrel nut is also available for the 700 but have no idea how it works and if it takes a special barrel for it.

Any gun smiths close by? I wouldn't think it would cost too much but there again, not sure.

I did the swap on mine. New barrel, the sights clocked at about 4:30 (barrel tight before sights at 12:00)

A friend with a big lathe helped me trim the shoulder slightly. Got it to line up after a couple careful trimmings.

Might be easier for you to find a thicker recoil lug, and then trim (so you don't have to trim off almost a full thread)

Thanks for your replies. Took the gun to a gunsmith and he recommended a thicker recoil lug and machining to get the sights at vertical so I could use them if needed. Always real good advise on here from people that are so helpful and knowledgeable. Thanks.

Back