Renegade adventures

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started with the 5/16" but it wasn't big enough so already had a pilot hole and lightly reamed it out with the 3/8". You could just go with the 3/8" but be careful. The wood at the end of the channel is pretty soft so you can go to far easily if you are not careful.

Thanks for the feedback folks! :D

So I never thought that I could possibly have a gun shooting Pyrodex (or BP) that wouldn't require swabbing between shots, or very little. I will say, when I did swab I didn't notice much fouling at all, even with 100gr. Nothing like in my knight plungers. If I don't swab them between shots, its awful tight getting a 2nd load down. If I do swab, should I just use a dry patch? Or one with alcohol or windex?

I ordered some daisy pillow tick patches in .015 and .018, and some more .530 round balls. Hoping to get back out there next weekend if the weather holds.

I think I'll switch to a 6:00 hold and shoot for groups at 50 and see how it goes. I also plan to shoot at 100 as well.
Any addl tips or pointers would be appreciated. I've been doing some more research, watched a bunch of IdahoLewis' video's... good stuff!

Oh, and my ramrod is about 1/4" too long - no clue why, maybe its from a different rifle. Anyone know where I can get one the right size for my rifle? Its not a huge issue, just sorta bugs me. The rod is an OEM rod, hickory with blued ends. I can't seem to find anything hickory with blued ends. Everything seems to be brass. It looks like I need 26 5/8".

If I knew how to take mine apart and shorten it (without butchering it up) I would just do that.

DON'T try to swab with a dry patch, you'll likely end up with the rod, jag, and patch stuck in the bore. Windex or alcohol is fine, just make sure the patch is only damp and nothing can be squeezed out of it.

Does anyone have any 'Pushing Daisies' patches they would be willing to trade?

Looking for .015 pillow tick for .50-59, and .018 pillow tick for .40-49

I have .015 pillow tick in .40-.49 AND .018 pillow tick in .50-.59 I could trade you some of.

They are so light, we could mail in an envelope with a stamp. Maybe 25-50 of each size? My order got messed up, and I figured this might be an easy solution if someone has some and is interested in a trade.

(Oct country messed up my order, just trying a simple solution that may benefit someone else also, before return/reorder)

I realize this post is ~4mo old, but perhaps this will be of future help.
You need to understand that the TC Renegades are a 1:48 shallow grove rifling (~.004"), mostly targeted at conicals, whereas round ball rifling is much slower and deep grooved (~.010"-.016"), so as to grip the PRB.
Shooting PRB's in a 1:48 shallow groove rifling requires the PRB be patched tightly, or the PRB will skid down the barrel without the rifling gripping the PRB. Also, high/heavy charges promote this skidding.

I only shoot PBR's in my .54cal TC Renegade, 70gr Goex 3F, .530" ball w/.018" patch, or a .535" ball w/.010" patch. Patches are lubed with a 1:7 water/Ballistol mix, cut at muzzle, yielding 2-3" 100yd groups. Increasing the charge above 70gr and the accuracy falls off rather quickly, to an unusable level! This loading produces enough power to completely pass through any deer at 80yds (I've never recovered a ball).

I can add just a touch of info. My .54 Renegade prb will shoot okay at 75 yards using 80 gr 2 F about 2" groups adding more powder tends to open up, but will keep prb's in a 6" group at 100 yards using 100 gr of 2 F. The patch will strip the lands if more than that is used. Conical you can use what your shoulder can handle in recoil.

I can add just a touch of info. My .54 Renegade prb will shoot okay at 75 yards using 80 gr 2 F about 2" groups adding more powder tends to open up, but will keep prb's in a 6" group at 100 yards using 100 gr of 2 F. The patch will strip the lands if more than that is used. Conical you can use what your shoulder can handle in recoil.
That's the way my Renegade shoots, except my PBR accuracy falls foo badly past 70gr, but the 425gr Hornady Great Plains conical (I have 6 boxes left) will stand 120gr 2F, like you, my shoulder will not.

IdahoLewis told me to try 80gr of Swiss 2F and either a .018 or .020 patch with a 530 ball with mt TC 54cal Renegade.
As soon as my HoneDo list gets down some and the weather get a little cooler I’m going to try it out.

Back