Rice barrel 'Drop ins' Fast Twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI
All Rice 4140 chrome moly barrels have left hand twist.

52Bore said:
FYI
All Rice 4140 chrome moly barrels have left hand twist.

This is something i have always wondered about? Right hand vs left hand rifling twist, What is the Pros, Cons, etc. between the 2? I have never owned a left hand twist that i know of, or can remember? There must be a reason Rice does this?

under some unusual circumstances one might 'gee' & the other one 'haw' but other than that there should be absolutely no difference. :huh?:

my opinion & yer welcome to it.

The left or right twist indicates which way the bullet will naturally drift. For most of us who only shoot up to a couple hundred yards it's not that big a deal for hunting accuracy. A great example of this is shown on a Buffington sight that was used on the late model Trapdoor in 45/70 caliber. A quick internet search will show the Buffington sight was regulated out to 2000 yards and when it was full extended it had a slight lean to the left to compensate for the 500 grain bullet that was driven by 70 grains of powder that would drift to the right.

A few years ago I put together a muzzleloader using a 45 caliber Green Mountain barrel that had a 1-18" twist and I installed one of these Buffington sights on it. My reasoning was I was shooting a similar load using the Lyman 457121 bullet backed by 70 grains of powder. In reality the Buffington worked just fine but was overkill because I never used it over 250 yards and really was not needed. Whenever we shot 100 or 200 yards at the muzzleloader league I would score the best but then again everyone else was shooting round balls which were better suited for the 25 and 50 yard targets.

only thing i've noticed is the torque of the barrel and that works great for a right hand shooter. the twist as far as i know has nothing to do with it being more accurate. Rice just makes a good barrel as far as I can tell by my Cartridge rifle, which I have .

45cal said:
only thing i've noticed is the torque of the barrel and that works great for a right hand shooter.
I'd agree - especially in a heavy recoiling gun.
Plus being in the northern hemisphere it counters the earths gravitational pull. ha

I actually don't think the price is all that bad. Rice probably can't buy 4140 gun barrel steel in enough quantity for a decent price break. I'm sure Rice is not counting on these barrels to be high volume sellers. They have to CNC out 4140 breech plugs, not source some cheaper cast lower grade steel ones. Remember Rice is not Green Mountain or pre S&W T/C in volume.

Here is what Jason had on his table at Friendship. Shows what's included.

Attachments

• 17 9 Rice 1.JPG
    17 9 Rice 1.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 505
  • 17 9 Rice 2.JPG
    17 9 Rice 2.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 505
I dont think the price is all that bad either.

If you got lucky and could find a old GM 50cal Sharp Shooter barrel you would pay more.

GM54-120 said:
I dont think the price is all that bad either.

If you got lucky and could find a old GM 50cal Sharp Shooter barrel you would pay more.

I fully agree with you GM54-120!! I have yet to see a GM Sharpshooter for sale, I read about the GM sharpshooter barrels way back when i got intrigued with their LRH Drop ins, (Toby bridges had an article/write up on his) The Sharpshooter was a .50 Cal, had a 1:24 Twist and was 32" long. It is highly doubtful you will find one of these on the market, Tho it is possible

they're a bit spendy but, Pedersoli's 50cal Missouri River Hawken has a 30in 1 in 24 twist barrel on it. 'sposedly with "Sharp's" style riflin'.

To be fair though, the GM SharpShooter was cut rifled. Sold with the Malcom repo scope for $550 was a steal!!! I dont remember full MSRP but i think i remember seeing them for sale at only $550 before they quit selling them.

The Sharpshooter is a 50 caliber; cut rifled muzzleloader barrel with a fast 1:24 twist rate, 32” long and comes complete with an 1860’s period correct long-tube 6-power Malcom-style telescopic sight from Leatherwood Optics.

To get into a 1-18 45cal you would probably pay dearly for one in a Douglas blank. Around $250 just for a round blank. Labor adds up fast. Doc White used Douglas and a couple others for his 45cal Sporting Rifles. You will probably be looking at a $600+ for a complete 50cal fast twist rifle from Pedersoli and i dont think they have any cheapish options in 45cal fast twist at all.

Something like this will easily set you back $1300 or more from Doc. Douglas 451 1-18 and BlackIced....DROP DEAD SEXY and you will hardly ever see me use that term for any rifle. :D
SptgRifle624TefonFullRight.jpg

GM54-120 said:
To be fair though, the GM SharpShooter was cut rifled. Sold with the Malcom repo scope for $550 was a steal!!! I dont remember full MSRP but i think i remember seeing them for sale at only $550 before they quit selling them.

The Sharpshooter is a 50 caliber; cut rifled muzzleloader barrel with a fast 1:24 twist rate, 32” long and comes complete with an 1860’s period correct long-tube 6-power Malcom-style telescopic sight from Leatherwood Optics.

To get into a 1-18 45cal you would probably pay dearly for one in a Douglas blank. Around $250 just for a round blank. Labor adds up fast. Doc White used Douglas and a couple others for his 45cal Sporting Rifles. You will probably be looking at a $600+ for a complete 50cal fast twist rifle from Pedersoli and i dont think they have any cheapish options in 45cal fast twist at all.

Something like this will easily set you back $1300 or more from Doc. Douglas 451 1-18 and BlackIced....DROP DEAD SEXY and you will hardly ever see me use that term for any rifle. :D
SptgRifle624TefonFullRight.jpg

HOLY MOLY!!! That is a BEAUTIFUL rifle!!

Maker stopped short of making it proper by color case hardening the correct parts - as it seems many do.
Pedersoli still makes a Mortimer Whitworth fast twist 45 - 1:21. The Whitworth is misleading as it's NOT a Hex bore - they use the term Whitworth as used in the 'Whitworth' matches in International Competition.

Attachments

• Ped Mort rifle .jpg
    Ped Mort rifle .jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 457
  • Ped Mort desc.jpg
    Ped Mort desc.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 457
The Rice and the Oregon Drop ins are pretty close in price, and have several calibers.

http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun. ... me=Barrels

"""Using solid bar stock, with cut riflings and finished with a crowned muzzle, the 15/16" Drop-In Rifle barrel is up to 30" long and is designed for Thompson Center and Lyman rifles. It comes in the white, requiring either blueing or browning, with nipple, thimbles, and fitted breech plug. The price does NOT include sights or ramrod. .32 caliber.""""

$200-$225 for straight or tampered octagon blanks is a great price for the DIY people. Hard to beat that for cut rifled.

24" 40cal 1-16 ... 6.5lbs ;)

Sure would be purty too
3322402_orig.jpg

GM54-120 said:
$200-$225 for straight or tampered octagon blanks is a great price for the DIY people. Hard to beat that for cut rifled.

24" 40cal 1-16 ... 6.5lbs ;)

Sure would be purty too
3322402_orig.jpg

Dang! that is a good looking rifle!!!

As you mentioned the 40 caliber with 1-16" twist makes for a nice rifle. I bought the last 3 Green Mountain barrels that TOW had in that caliber about a dozen years ago and used one of them on a Renegade as a target barrel. Now a 1" x 34 " barrel wouldn't be something I would like to carry in the woods but your suggestion of a 24" with perhaps a 15/16" or smaller across the flats would be a different story.

Back