Rings and bases for Centerfire

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphaburnt

Reaction score
I currently have a Redfield Jr one piece base with windage adjustment on my Rem 700 Mtn Rifle (.270), would a Warne ring and base set be as precise? I just discovered that by over tightening, I had bent one of the WA screws and was thinking about upgrading to the Warnes.

MQ32shooter,

I use Talley bases and rings on my centerfire rifles. They have proved precise and reliable for me.

jim

I looked at those earlier today on the web and I do like the system. Are yours made of steel or alloy? Do you find that you have any problems with them lining up correctly ( no need for lapping)? Do you have the one or two piece?

I like two piece bases, and I have not had to lap mine. I use their steel bases, but their alloy light rings get good press. I have some going on another rifle, but haven't tried them yet.

Midway has the Wheeler Engineering kit for checking rings (and lapping if necesssary). I liked their price.

jim

Warnes are an excellent mount, as are Leupold's IMO(which makes up the majority). I use both on my big game rifles and never had a problem.

Talleys and Conetrols are quality mounts, as well.

FYI...If you choose a dovetail mount make sure to twist the rings into the base with a piece of dowel or pipe...do not use your scope!!

Skhunter, I have a dovetail mount (front part of base is, rear is held by windage adjustment screws). I switched my muzzleloader over to the Weaver GS bases with the Leupold QRW rings about a month ago and I like them alot. I was wondering if there is any noticable accuracy difference between the two because with the .270, I might get lucky enough to go hunt the West in the future and want all the accuracy I can get in case of a 300 yard or longer shot.

The ONLY way(not really! :lol: ) are the Leupold Dual dovetail mounts! You talk about FOOLPROOF....they ARE! You want tough...the toughest. They look classy and are about the best idea ever. They are my first choice on ANY centerfire rifle!

Geez Chuck, you were the one that got me started on the Leupold/Warne/Weaver GS deal! Do you really think the DD is more accurate?

MQ32shooter said:
Geez Chuck, you were the one that got me started on the Leupold/Warne/Weaver GS deal! Do you really think the DD is more accurate?

I feel like the Leupold DD is THE way to go! Now if I want detatchable mounts...that's something else... On a centerfire....love those dual dovetails!

Is it necessary to lap or ream them, is there an easy way to set them up? After looking it is cheaper than the alternatives I was thinking about. For a 40mm objective would it be the low rings?

Oh and another can of worms to open, one piece or two? Thanks :)

Is it necessary to lap or ream them

I never have.. I use a 1 inch wooden dowel to line them up. It is really not that hard to do at all. If 40mm is the most scope you'll mount..low should be fine but I sometimes get medium. I like 2-piece mounts(look better, IMO) but nothing wrong with 1-piece..

I use a 1 inch wooden dowel to line them up. It is really not that hard to do at all. If 40mm is the most scope you'll mount..low should be fine but I sometimes get medium. I like 2-piece mounts(look better, IMO) but nothing wrong with 1-piece..

Agree, I like 2 piece on bolts. DD are my favorite CF mount, rock solid. STD have been great as well in my experience but the DD design has undeniable benefits. They are a little tougher to install but if you use a 1" piece of dowel, pipe it shouldn't be to daunting.

I lap but I have unlapped scopes mounted with no issues. If really concerned contact a respected gunsmith about ring lapping costs before going out and buying tools.

Good call again guys, bought them and love them ( Leupold Dual Dovetail two piece)- mainly because there is less to love and nothing to go wrong or work loose. Now I can just shoot.

Latest posts

Back