Rod preference

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Reaction score
What kind of fishing rods do y'all prefer? Can't really do a poll on this because you only get one vote and I'm sure people have more than one type rod they prefer.

I don't buy a rod based on brand (never have). I usually buy a rod if it's got something I like about it. My two favorite rods are an eight ft. rod I use for catfishing and an eight foot fly rod I use for panfish. The cat rod has an Abu Garcia ambassadeur 6000 (birthday or anniversary present I think) reel with a 5.3/1 gear ratio. The fly rod just has a very cheap spinning reel that I bought as a combo and the reel has outlasted the pole. It's caught hundreds of panfish over the years.

About 3 years ago I treated myself to a Fenwick Golden Wing Coaxial 1 piece MH 6'6" MH (12-25 lb line class) casting rod to match my Shimano Calcutta CT 400. Its my "Go To" rod for Stripers and Flounder. Its by far my favorite and should be since rod equaled whut the Calcutta cost. :lol: :lol: Been fishin too many years with el cheapos and said...Loggy, you owe it to yourself, go for it! :lol: :lol:

Also, I have a couple of the Cabela's ProGuide Series IM6 & IM7 Graphites, UgyStiks etc. that serve me well.

Pic Of Fenwick Golden Wing Rod:

GW.jpg

Pic Of Shimano Calcutta CT400 & Fenwick:

REEL.jpg

I have several different rod/reel combos that I like, but I have decided that I am never going to buy anything except Ugly Stick rods and Shimano reels from now on. In mt openion for the price that combo can't be beat.

I've got a few different favorites, but no one brand seems to stand out. I have a few Fenwicks, a St. Croix, G-Loomis, etc. and they all seem to perform like they're supposed to. I had a couple of Saltwater rods custom made, that's where the little quirks of each rod really stands out. I once broke a rod on a 5 day trip, and one of the mates let me borrow one of his rods. With his rod, a tuna that took me 1/2 hr to 45 minutes to boat on my own rod took less than 1/2 that time. Needless to say, after that trip, I had the rod builder start on one for me later on that week.

For general fishing, I like a fast taper. For Steelhead, I like more of a parabolic taper - it seems to help stop the hooks from pulling out when they shake their head or do a quick, short, last minute run downriver.

Contrary to popular belief, length does matter. :) You'll be hatin' life if you ever get hooked up with a 75# tuna on a 10' jig stick, while on a 4' to 5' bait stick, they're in the boat in 10 to 20 minutes.

HMX 560 ML 6'-0", 4-12# line and an ancient HMT (I believe) ultralight 5'-0", 2-8# line

My favorite is a custom built rod. I have two. They're built on a Loomis 721 blanks. Also have Loomis. For my fishing(walleye) they're to most sensitive yet powerfull. They can handle the smallest walleye an everything up to 19 lb pike.

Blue-Dot-37.5 said:
HMX 560 ML 6'-0", 4-12# line and an ancient HMT (I believe) ultralight 5'-0", 2-8# line

Thanks BD. Nice pair there! Fenwick stopped making the Golden Wing Series but i still have my Fenwick Lifetime Partnership Warranty. My buddy snapped a 10 year old Fenwick Muskie Rod and they replaced NO questions asked! A fine Company.

The place I am most picky about is fly-fishing for trout. Also I am hard on equipment. My favorite is a 7 1/2 ft. leonard but the one I use mostly is a Fenwick 8 ft. graphite Eagle. Reel is just a single action as it is only a place to hold the line.
Redclub

Here's a G.Loomis 7'6" BBR and Avet MX spooled with 40 lb. Power Pro in battle with a 15 pound striper.

Fishing008.jpg

Latest posts

Back