Roll cap primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hit and miss with my Traditions Derringer, but nearly 100% ignition with my old Euroarms Kentuckian. Here of course is probably why, both nipples have nipple grease on them as well, and both are factory nipples.

Traditions
IMG_20230226_123337716.jpg
Euroarms
IMG_20230226_123134828_BURST000_COVER.jpg

The other thing I am doing differently since my original post, just using a punch. The excess paper for the most part holds them in place. An Allen set key to push them down in the homemade cap.

IMG_20230226_124215773.jpg

Hope it works for you. I used 2,3, and 4 paper toy caps yesterday in my Uberti Dragoon loaded with 45 grains of loose Schuetzen to make ignition easier but none worked. They all popped ok but no powder ignition. Check the nipple holes for paper residue.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention my Dragoon has Slixshots on which have a smaller flash hole to reduce blowback so wonder if that blocked the paper cap sparks?

I forgot to mention my Dragoon has Slixshots on which have a smaller flash hole to reduce blowback so wonder if that blocked the paper cap sparks?
The paper caps will work but you have to pick clean the nipple holes after every shot most likely because the unburnt paper will block the holes. Try putting in a toy paper cap then a few grains of powder then another toy paper cap then pack your percussion cap to increase the charge. Not sure if facing the toy caps in different directions will matter or not but it might. Probably better to use a few grains of powder rather then to much paper!

The paper caps will work but you have to pick clean the nipple holes after every shot most likely because the unburnt paper will block the holes. Try putting in a toy paper cap then a few grains of powder then another toy paper cap then pack your percussion cap to increase the charge. Not sure if facing the toy caps in different directions will matter or not but it might.
I did, dots facing the nipples, 2 then a few grains of BP then the last dot. They stay in the cap perfectly and all popped but didn’t ignite the powder. I ordered the Primeall to have in reserve. Made sure the nipple holes were clear.

I did, dots facing the nipples, 2 then a few grains of BP then the last dot. They stay in the cap perfectly and all popped but didn’t ignite the powder. I ordered the Primeall to have in reserve. Made sure the nipple holes were clear.
Hum, well you might have to get different nipples with bigger holes maybe try the SlixShot nipples. I know it works because I have the cap maker myself and my 1858 Remington, it fired with that method. Some factory nipples work and some don't so a lot of people go to the SlixShot, I just know what I learned from the YT videos and I can say the Prime All is much more reliable and the Toy cap method is hit and miss. Heck some folks use matches, but all agree the Prime All is the one that's 99.9% gonna go bang!

Hum, well you might have to get different nipples with bigger holes maybe try the SlixShot nipples. I know it works because I have the cap maker myself and my 1858 Remington, it fired with that method. Some factory nipples work and some don't so a lot of people go to the SlixShot, I just know what I learned from the YT videos and I can say the Prime All is much more reliable and the Toy cap method is hit and miss. Heck some folks use matches, but all agree the Prime All is the one that's 99.9% gonna go bang!
I had the Slixshots on. They work great with regular caps. I will try with the supplied Pietta nipples that have a larger flash hole.

Another important factor is that the Toy caps need to be made in Germany and not China because of the quality and strength. This guy shows a few different approach's that may give you ideas as well as this one.
Mine are the German ones. Thanks for the video links but I have seen those before. I have a multi hole punch from Harbor Freight that works great like the one old ranger uses in the video.

Last edited:
Mine are the German ones. Thanks for the video links but I have seen those before. I have a multi hole punch from Harbor Freight that works great like the one old ranger uses in the video.
It's just a matter of trial and error until you find what works, really to bad we cant just buy the darn things but being self-sufficient is a good thing. Let me know how it works out, I would be interested in what you come up with.

It's just a matter of trial and error until you find what works, really to bad we cant just buy the darn things but being self-sufficient is a good thing. Let me know how it works out, I would be interested in what you come up with.
Will do. Wanted to test a batch in my 58 Remington with stock nipples but…grandpa duties intervened today. Hopefully I can make it to my gun club range tomorrow.

These work. They are about $2 at family dollar stores. I got them to ignite both real BP and 777. Not as well as the real thing, but would do in a pinch.
007.jpg

Latest posts

Back