Sabot options?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
Mostly all i hear about is MMP Sabots. Are they the true leader in the Sabot industry? Is there another kind worth trying in load development?

ACTUALLY...I use Harvester sabots a lot of the time. Their regular 45/50 sabot is a good one.

big6x6 said:
ACTUALLY...I use Harvester sabots a lot of the time. Their regular 45/50 sabot is a good one.

Do you notice any difference between the two? I might just pick some up this weekend if i go to Cabelas.

I like the thicker petal(.028inch) and shorter length sabot .875, it flies really well, under 1 inch. Same bullets with the longer and thinner sabots open up to 2inch groups at 100 yrds.

I've had good success using Harvester sabots with 250 gr. SST's. The bullet really fits the sabot well with this combination and they shot great also!

Just to muddy the waters a little bit - I have had great success with Nosler sabots. I use them in my Remingtons - A&H - Firebolt and all of my Thompson side locks. Easy enough to load and really appear to be accurate for a wide variety of bullets...

Randy,

Aren't they MMP as well?

You know I am not really sure - but every time I try to compare them with each other I can not come up with enough common characteristics. If they were they would have to be the HPH-24 and they do match at all.

The Noslers I have are a couple of years old, I have not ordered any recently. And at the same time I was using Noslers I tried to use MMP's several times and could not get them down the barrel. In fact I still a couple hundred of them. I keep thinking I should go buy a rifle that they fit in... Thats a real good excuse to buy a new rifle.

If anything I thought they might be Harvester, but even a comparison there doesn't really look good.

I wrote Nosler a couple of times and asked that very question but have never got a reply... I should send you a picture I took several months ago. I lined 15/20 different sabot, sabots with different name brands and tried to make a comparison with common characteristics even that didn't work real well.

elmerdeer said:
Is there any way of telling the difference of sabots, and who makes them?

Not for all, and not totally reliably. :?

The MMP sabots 'generally' have a mold number. Can't say about generic / others.

You can tell the difference in MMP polymer in the same style sabot, by checking the amount of "spring" in the sabot when pushed flat on the floor. But, no way to tell with a sabot by itself. The "traditional" way (if there is a traditional sabot test) was to use a lighter.

If I know it is old stuff, it goes in the garbage. If it is dubious, it goes the garbage. I just get current sabots from direct from MMP, unless I know that the bullets are supplied with current MMP sabots.

Buffalo and Barnes are current polymer-- I have no idea if most of the 'others' are-- or, even if they are MMP made.

I have used the MMP's with good results shootin the Hornady 250 SST's (ordered short black sabot directly from MMP). The MMP is the sabot supplied with the Barnes 300 grain Expander...the bullet I'm currently hooked on. They also perform very well. So for me its MMP.

Loggy said:
I have used the MMP's with good results shootin the Hornady 250 SST's (ordered short black sabot directly from MMP). The MMP is the sabot supplied with the Barnes 300 grain Expander...the bullet I'm currently hooked on. They also perform very well. So for me its MMP.
Is it possible to give us the length of the sabot and thicknes of the petals?

I will post up length of the MMP Short Black & the Long that comes with the Barnes 300 grain Expanders. I dont not have tools to measure thickness.

elmerdeer said:
Is it possible to give us the length of the sabot and thicknes of the petals?

The only thing that counts is the assembled sabot / bullet compared to your bore. If you don't know the land to land dimension of your bore, then just measuring petals is of little help.

There really are only three sabots most are likely to ever need: short MMP black, HPH12, and HPH 24's. That covers every .45 - .453" bullet available that is a ML candidate.

Measuring is all well and good, but how they shoot is the only thing that matters-- only one way to learn that.

Latest posts

Back