School Me on Ignition Systems

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can only speak of the Hankins Direct ignition vs 209 ignition, as that is what I have. The direct ignition works really well as far as reliability and accuracy goes. The Hankins DI is almost like putting in a new "mini" breechplug for each shot. IMO much less chance of a fail to fire unless your powder was very wet, as the path of the flame is brand new each shot. This also allows you to use Large sized primers which should give you tighter standard deviations as far as velocity goes, which should result in better accuracy. The large primers are also supposed to disturb the bullet less during ignition. As 209s supposedly can move the bullet before the powder charge ignites (decreasing accuracy). The downsides... Slower to reload (you have to unscrew the DI module after each shot and then screw in the new one), Also you cannot load without the DI module in place or the powder WILL spill out the back. So that leaves you with either loading with the previously shot module in, and then unscrewing it with the barrel pointed down and screwing in a new primed DI module. Or you load with a new DI module already in place but you will be loading a gun that has a live primer installed while putting in powder and bullet

I have a Hankins DI too. It is super when at the bench. To clumsy, for me, for hunting. The HIS is a great system that is easily changed, bigger modules are harder to lose and seal really well. I think any of these brass module HIS systems have the best of both DIS and 209 setups but are a little pricey to get the system. Worth it? Maybe, if you want a better system and can afford it. I wouldnt put it on a Wolf or Traditions maybe not even an Optima. But on a sml no question i would def do it(HIS).

I have a Hankins DI too. It is super when at the bench. To clumsy, for me, for hunting. The HIS is a great system that is easily changed, bigger modules are harder to lose and seal really well. I think any of these brass module HIS systems have the best of both DIS and 209 setups but are a little pricey to get the system. Worth it? Maybe, if you want a better system and can afford it. I wouldnt put it on a Wolf or Traditions maybe not even an Optima. But on a sml no question i would def do it(HIS).
Second what muzzy said. Hindsight I would have just stuck with 209s for my accura

How much does Hankins get to do the His system I looking to have a CVA hunter done

Thank you!!!
So it seems to me that HIS and Direct are schemes to use large rifle primers instead of 209’s - correct?
And in view of fact that Direct ignition requires primer holders to be screwed in and out with every shot I certainly agree it would be a problem for hunting.
So key question to me is whether an HIS ignition would perform better than a typical 209 with carbide bushing?

I'd like to bring this option to your attention.
https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product/cva_qrbp/I personally use this ignition system in my CVA 50cal Accura V2 Plains Rifle. I shoot BH209 powder exclusively and I wasn't satisfied with the performance I got from any of the 209 breech plugs I tried which were the CVA unit and the Lehigh unit with the vent liners and o-rings. I find that the large rifle magnum primers used in the Arrowhead unit gives me much more complete combustion based on looking at the bore and the inside of the breech plug after a shot. Using a 209 primer, the bore had what appears to be either unburnt powder or carbon particles in it as well as inside the cavity of the breech plug. It looks crusty is the best way to describe it.
Using the Arrowhead LRMP breech plug the bore is virtually clean after a shot...only the slightest bit of particles and the inside of the breech plug is completely devoid of particles as well. It appears to have just a stain of carbon with a dull sheen to it. The LRMP modules are far easier to manage to load than the 209 primers and they seal completely. This is especially important because leaked ignition gases contain particles that end up in the firing pin area in the rifles receiver that can cause a misfire because the firing pin looses speed due to crud build up. I get absolutely none of that mess with the Arrowhead unit. I have not done side by side accuracy testing or side by side velocity spread testing with a chronograph because I don't care about the results of those tests. I'd be interested to see that data but that's not why I use the Arrowhead unit. I use it because it's far cleaner than any 209 primer system available. I have confidence that I'm using the best ignition system that can be had at this time and I can't do my best if my mind is distracted by equipment shortcomings. The more variables I can remove, the more consistent my accuracy will be. That's why I shoot bullet to bore with bullets sized to fit my rifle's bore and not sabots. That rifle shoots one ragged hole groups at 100 yards and 1" to 1 1/2" groups at 200 yards. I owe it to the deer to to be my absolute best to ensure a clean, humane kill.
Oh...and it happens to be on sale right now too!

My 2¢ DI is the last ignition system I'd want for hunting or bench.

Modules are much easier, you don't end up spilling powder inside your rifle's action, and........ you can remove a module in a moment, throw the rifle in a case and be gone. With DI, you have to figure out how to put a spent bolt in so that it doesn't spill propellant all over. For..... maybe.... 50fps, nope, I don't want a thing to do with DI.
I'll stick to my ASG modules..........

Last edited:
I went with a HIS vs ASG plug. No experience with ASG and would not hesitate if it was my only option. I would not do DI for reasons others mentioned unless bench shooting. I hunt.

Latest posts

Back