Scouting for Hogs Today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
I took my dog and went scouting for hogs in a place I'd never been off the river. There's a series of narrow trails through the hammock so I went about 2 miles but found almost no signs of hogs ... or deer.

There were other things, however.

Landing (entrance) off the river:

Princess%20Landing%20bWEB_zpsw14i0owt.jpg

Campsite on the river bank:

Princess%20Camp1WEB_zps95opoen3.jpg

Typical deer hunting terrain for river swamps:

Princess%20Hammock%20Trail4WEB_zpsvlbz6mv6.jpg

Old orange grove dating from the 1880s:

Trail%20Orange%20WEB_zpsdff8ltki.jpg

Woods%20Grove1WEB_zpsybamfhkp.jpg

Too bad there were no hogs on the high ground ... probably wallowing in the low cypress areas. :Questuon:

wow ..that looks like a nice area...to bad no hogs...almost looks jungle like....

Bob..when your dog encounters a snake..does he know to back off and alarm you..
 one of my dogs chase snakes here but none are poisonous...but would hate to see an dog bit by a mock or other deadly snake...

them oranges look like good to eat...

Al, my dog used to do the "snake dance" where they dart in and out playing with a snake. I didn't think that was wise so I "snake-proofed" her with an e-collar. She won't go within 20 feet of a snake now. I did the same thing with her with alligators.
You just catch a snake or gator and tape their mouth shut. When the dog tries to grab it, you zap them with the highest shock available. I repeat it every year or two to remind her.

Those oranges have reverted to the wild rootstock over the century and a quarter since freezes wiped out the northern Florida industry in the late 1800s. They have skin like a tangerine but are large and extremely bitter except when picked after a hard freeze. The cold weather brings out the sweetness in them ... to a point. Those oranges would be more like lemons in taste. Some people make a type of orange 'lemonade' with them.

thats one hell of a spooky looking place! I'd freak myself out hunting in a place like that LOL.

Very cool with the orange trees though. Its a nice find to run across.

Jon,
it's very difficult to see more than 15-30 yards in the river hammocks. Heck, sometimes it's difficult to see 6 or 7 feet. A machete comes in handy ... and plenty of bug spray.

Back