2023 NW Oklahoma Fall Tom

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Reaction score
I accomplished one of my hunting goals this afternoon. I was on the way back to my deer stand and heard turkeys clucking in a grove of trees on the south bank of the river that runs through the property. I did about a 100 yard sneak through tall grass, and when I finally got to where I could see the birds, they were still about 70 yards away. I practice on targets out to 40 yards, but I try to keep my shots on animals around 30. There was about 25 yards of grass I mowed a few weeks ago that had started to grow back, and past that was short grass up to a little wash. I belly crawled up to the wash, and the birds were getting nervous. I left my rangefinder in the Ranger, so I Kentucky windaged the distance and took the shot. He dropped like a rock.
The other birds just milled around, and the other tom in the group went over to beat my bird about the head, neck, and ears. I really didn’t want to spook them, so I waited until they wandered off to go get him. It ended up the shot was 36 yards.
He weighed 23lbs and has a 9.75” beard.
IMG_0075.jpeg
IMG_0078.jpeg

I accomplished one of my hunting goals this afternoon. I was on the way back to my deer stand and heard turkeys clucking in a grove of trees on the south bank of the river that runs through the property. I did about a 100 yard sneak through tall grass, and when I finally got to where I could see the birds, they were still about 70 yards away. I practice on targets out to 40 yards, but I try to keep my shots on animals around 30. There was about 25 yards of grass I mowed a few weeks ago that had started to grow back, and past that was short grass up to a little wash. I belly crawled up to the wash, and the birds were getting nervous. I left my rangefinder in the Ranger, so I Kentucky windaged the distance and took the shot. He dropped like a rock.
The other birds just milled around, and the other tom in the group went over to beat my bird about the head, neck, and ears. I really didn’t want to spook them, so I waited until they wandered off to go get him. It ended up the shot was 36 yards.
View attachment 38057
View attachment 38058
Nicely done. Congrats.

View attachment 38057
View attachment 38058
Sounds like a really fun hunt! Congrats on a great bird. Thanksgiving?

View attachment 38057
View attachment 38058
Good Job !:lewis:

That's one large turkey, alright! That was also some good shooting with that crossbow.

Latest posts

Back