Searching for 22LR Bolt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
I am seeking advice on purchasing a bolt action 22LR. I am willing to pay up to $500 for the gun only. Does anyone recommend a make, model.
Not interested in compact but want a full scale rifle. I also like synthetic not wood. It would be nice to shoot shorts in it as well but that may not be possible. I will put a scope on it, probably a Vortex Crossfire 3-9x40.

I simply bought a Marlin some time ago. I like the single shots and bolt action guns as you don’t get the urge to do mag dumps wasting the ammo. But mag dumps are fun for a while though. Besides most gun ranges won’t let you do mag dumps anyway.

Either a CZ or Bergara.
I have a Bergara and its a real shooter. CCI MiniMag Varmint or SK Std Plus 10 shot group 1/2" @ 50 yards.

Last edited:
Another vote here for cz 457. The trigger is great & nitride coating is a big plus in my book. Cz rimfire magazines aren't the cheapest but they've always worked well for me. Warne makes nice reversible 11mm-3/8" dovetail rings.

I have a CZ 457 in .17HMR that is very accurate and yes as others have said, great trigger. I would take a look at a CZ 457 in .22LR.

Feeding shorts is a tall order. 60+ years ago makers often did the engineering to make sure they would feed etc but since "no one shoots shorts" they save the money these days

I would look (in order of cost) at Savage, CZ, and Bergara

If you insist on shorts-eating I would find an old Mossberg 44 or 144 and then make sure I had at least one factory mag with the shorts adapter pin

If you decide to skip the shorts requirement my rifle suggestion list doesnt change ;)

I am seeking advice on purchasing a bolt action 22LR. I am willing to pay up to $500 for the gun only. Does anyone recommend a make, model.
Not interested in compact but want a full scale rifle. I also like synthetic not wood. It would be nice to shoot shorts in it as well but that may not be possible. I will put a scope on it, probably a Vortex Crossfire 3-9x40.
I would try to talk you into a Steyr Zephyr II, I love mine in .17hmr, but they are a bit over budget.

Not sure what they cost now, but I can highly recommend the Tikka T1X. I keep mine suppressed, and it is dirty accurate.

If used is an option, you can't go wrong with an older Marlin. I have a 783 and an 882(22mags)that I love. Find their little brothers in 22lr and enjoy.

Of course there's always a Henry... Everyone should have one of these. Mine came from Walmart for less than $300, and it's plenty accurate with a vintage 4x Leupold.

Oh! Had a Savage 93FVSR that shot like a laser. The magazines are trash though. Traded mine for the Tikka.

Interesting to see a Mossberg 44 recommended since most probably have not experienced the vintage 22 rifles. Sure they were wood stocked, open sights, peep sight, had blued or case hardened metal and most fired 22 s,l or long rifle. Also Remington, Winchester, Marlin, Savage, Stevens, H&R, Browning, High Standard and Mossberg as well as others made 22 rifles that would meet your criteria except for synthetic stock. I am a fan of old steel and wood and you can find these rifles in local gun shops, some shows and by word of mouth. Hope you find an accurate 22 that meets your needs.

For .22 shorts you likely have to go with a single shot rifle. There are many on the used market but I think that the inexpensive Cricket is the only one left that is new anymore. But that seems setup for kids though with a shorter pull on the stock. I remember shooting the pump gallery guns at arcades ages ago when I was a kid. Sometimes those turn up for sale but they are well used. My favorite single shot is a BSA Martini action rifle. That thing is just crazy accurate.

Latest posts

Back