Second trip to the range with the White 91 .410...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
Second trip to the range Saturday with the White 91 .410cal. I was using the White Power Punch 400gr bullets...MUCH better! The Power Punch bullets seated MUCH better! They could still be sized 0.001 smaller STILL. But there is a WORLD of difference between the No Excuses and Power Punches. The Power Punches are very tolerable! Groups were not THAT great but they may get better after I shoot the rifle more. Here are my 100yd groups...

2005boatpics%20033.jpg

2005boatpics%20032.jpg

2005boatpics%20031.jpg

I tried 60gr of fffg 777 and the group was the same:

2005boatpics%20030.jpg

Not bad ole man! I make mine a little different because I preffer the bullet to engrave. I make a .408....then knurl them. When using pure lead they load fairly easily.

On some I will put two grease groove on the lower 2/3rds and size to .410. This actually makes em about .4095 or so.

I bet your groups get better as you breakin the barrell.

have you tried 70gr. up to 80gr. that may tighten up your pattern abit.
I'd almost shoot the same amount of powder you were shooting with the one you had in tenn. can't remember if it was a 45 or 50.

Yeah...not that bad but not that great either. :? I wish they were ALL as good as that one incher! The No Excuses measure .411 for me and of course they are VERY hard to load and engrave all the way down! The White Power Punch measure 0.4095 for me. They engrave all right but that 0.0015 makes all the difference in the world as far as seating ease goes! I would like to try some 0.4085. I didn't know you make bullets for a .410? That could be great news for me! :D

I'd almost shoot the same amount of powder you were shooting with the one you had in tenn. can't remember if it was a 45 or 50.

I was shooting 70gr fffg in my .451 with Bobs 461gr. The .410 SHOULDN'T need as much powder. With velocities in all ready in the 1300fps range, I really don't think I need to go up TOO much. I will try 75gr on the next trip though! Who knows...THAT may be the magic number!

Chuck, looks like you are off to a rough start with this monster, but I'm sure you will get that thing figured out before it is all said and done!! Thanks for sharing the pics and info. You went through a lot of work for all that! And considering how cruddy the power punches are made, those are some awesome groups!!! I couldn't get groups anywhere near that with my .504's or my .451's when I used the power punches so I think with a good ole NEW bullet, that gun will come into it's own!! Guess I had better get busy! :wink:

Chuck,

I think things are looking up! If Mark can get you the sized bullets you need, I think that .410 is going to come alive! As it is it isnt BAD!

Keep us posted.. a .410 Super91 - You LUCKY DOG! :wink:

Grouse said:
Do you think you would see any difference trying Pyrodex?

Well I HAVE some! I didn't want to go that route but I'll try it if all else fails!

Looks MUCH better than your last report! Like JJ mentioned,,try some wads under that bullet... :wink:

Yeah...I could try those. I'm going to shoot the crap out of it for a while with the Power Punches. Dave at No Excuses said he was going to sent me a few of those sized 0.001 smaller. Maybe Mark will have something to send! :lol:

Back